Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I need a mentor for my new scan n cut. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-need-mentor-my-new-scan-n-cut-t272606.html)

Donna in Bellevue 11-23-2015 06:35 PM

I need a mentor for my new scan n cut.

I recently purchased an original floor model of the scan n cut. I'm having trouble understanding the users manual especially in regards to sticky backing, which to use when, etc. I tried cutting out a piece of fabric that was backed with Steam a Seam 2 but the piece that was cut pulled up and rumpled as the cutter went over it. I know it's user error but I can't figure out what I did wrong.

PaperPrincess 11-23-2015 07:29 PM

I'm sure you will get some great advice here. For starters, if it was a floor model, you may need a new blade and new sticky mat. there is a yahoo group dedicated to scan n cut. Might be another place to check.

Donna in Bellevue 11-23-2015 07:41 PM

Thank you, PaperPrincess. I think you are right, the mat isn't as sticky as it should be. The blade seems to be cutting ok but then I wouldn't know, would I? It's not like a rotary cutter that skips and make funny noises when it's old and dull. I'll try a new mat and cross my fingers.

ManiacQuilter2 11-24-2015 05:31 AM

There have been previous posts about how complicated this item is to work. Can you inquiry with any support from whoever sold you this?

Stitchnripper 11-24-2015 06:18 AM

This is from our friend Dolphyngrl. She has lots of good information. I am sorry if this is the incorrect way to quote her post. Maybe she will chime in here or maybe you can google and look for some forums as she suggested. Good luck with it. I hope you can figure it out.
<dl class="userinfo_extra" style="margin: 2.5px 0px; float: left; width: 190px; height: auto !important;"><dt style="margin: 0px 5px 0px 0px; padding: 0px; float: left; min-width: 60px; width: auto !important;">Join Date</dt><dd style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px 0px 3px;">Jan 2009</dd><dt style="margin: 0px 5px 0px 0px; padding: 0px; float: left; min-width: 60px; width: auto !important;">Location</dt><dd style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px 0px 3px;">Southern California</dd><dt style="margin: 0px 5px 0px 0px; padding: 0px; float: left; min-width: 60px; width: auto !important;">Posts</dt><dd style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px 0px 3px;">5,220</dd><dt style="margin: 0px 5px 0px 0px; padding: 0px; float: left; min-width: 60px; width: auto !important;">Feedback Score</dt><dd style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px 0px 3px;"></dd></dl>

Love my scanncut. There is a learning curve but there are lots of forums, and hope yoders book is awesome. I have seen people do whole pieced quilts from it. I have not tried just saying people have done them. It is as easy as it looks scan and cut, no computer needed. Great for applique, fussy cutting, also good for paper, vinyl, heat glitter vinyl for shirts, embroidery. I do not feel the learning curve is steep, but would be nice for someone to walk through the steps of actually doing a pattern quilt. I have seen some amy bradley, toni whitney, bunnyhill designs done with the scannncut. I do recommend if you do embroidery to at least get the 550 but the 650 is the only one that scans the 12x24 mat. I could justify the exta money for the added features of the 650 since the only new feature I cared about was the large mat scan

Donna in Bellevue 11-24-2015 08:39 AM

I plan to stop by after Thanksgiving. Too many things going on before then, as you might imagine. Thanks for replying.

Donna in Bellevue 11-24-2015 08:41 AM

Stitchnripper, I'll do some searching. I'm going back where I bought it and get a few pointers. They are very good about after purchase help.

romanojg 11-24-2015 09:16 AM

Go to brothers website and they have lots of videos on this, including the different matts. There are also lots of you tube videos on it too. There are 3 basic mats, one which is black and it has a thin layer of plastic on it and its just for scanning, then there are two mats that are sticky, one more than the other one. I'm not sure which one you got but the website would help. Also, register it and do the upgrade to get it up to date, they also tell you how to do that too. You can enroll in the scan n cut canvas website to create, and save, etc designs. You will probably learn more about your machine online than in stores. It is great for so many things and once you see what all these creative people out there have done with it, you'll be amazed at how great of deal getting it was.