Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I need motivation... please help... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-need-motivation-please-help-t174985.html)

quiltingfan 01-09-2012 08:02 AM

I need motivation... please help...

Do not know what happened, but it seems since I have been in the new house that I have just not been motivated to quilt. I thought it was because I did not have my own space to cut fabric. Then it is the lack of money to buy fabric. I have some stash but not a lot. I still have enough to at least get started on a baby blanket that I need to get done for a great niece of mine that will be born the end of the month. My son's quilt that I have promised him for over a year now. We bought some of the fabric for that. I also have a monthly door hanger that I could be working on... See what I mean?? all these things that I need to be sewing and nothing. I just walk by my space all the time but don't sew anything or get anything done. Now that I have figured out how to get replies sent to my email I thought I would try to post again and see if I could find some motivation here.

pinkberrykay 01-09-2012 08:08 AM

I work on small things that i can get and and feel like I accomplished something. I also find that if I search the web for patterns or such I get motivated to do something. I think the hardest part is walking in and just doing it. Stop making excuses (I know its hard) to walk into your room. Since you have a lot of stash work on a scrappy wall hanging or burp cloth for the baby. Good Luck, and know you are not alone!!!

crafterrn1 01-09-2012 08:15 AM

Ok here is what I would do. Start small. Organize the 3 projects you just talked about. Have one ready for cutting on the cutting table. Get the seasonal runner setup by the machine. Put all the current fabric together for your sons quilt. Each day work on one project for 15 mins. You can spend 45 mins a day 15 mins on each project. You will be amazed at how much you will get done. I think maybe a new house and a clean room maybe stopping you as well. If you keep it small the mess will stay small and easy to clean up. Relax put a favorite movie or music on and enjoy your new space. Luann

Aubrey'sQuiltingCreations 01-09-2012 08:19 AM

Maybe to get started again you need to just do small steps like cut out pieces of just one fabric for a project at a time until you feel the juices flowing again and will jump back in. Or for me if I ever like I am getting lost I look at fabrics in a store or online and almost instantly I find myself back at it full force. Then I find myself having to stop to eat and drink to keep going. I did have a dry spell a few years back but at this time I was working a full day job for eight hours and then work at night in a bar six nights a week for 8 hours and on my day off I just didn't feel like doing anything. But my addiction of quilting soon came back after about six months of this and after one trip to a quilt shop during a huge sale I dived right back in and have not look back. I certainly hope you find your groove back into quilting!!

quiltingfan 01-09-2012 09:09 AM

Thanks guys. Will start to cut something out and at least make a block. Beth

Becky Crafts 01-09-2012 09:13 AM

I have the opposite problem. I have so many projects ahead of me that I'm not sure which one to pick up next!! I just finished the 2nd of 4 wolf panels & I'm afraid to start the 3rd as I'm getting burnt out on them. I want a little diversion. Maybe I'll make some burp cloths for my identical twin great grands on the way. :-) I want to try ear bud pouches, a french braid table runner in batiks, a Christmas panel quilt I didn't get to before Christmas & a long list of other fun stuff I can hardly wait to get to. Plus I signed up for a BOM on Craftsy & I have to find my fabrics before the ruler I needed comes in. :-)

AnnieF 01-09-2012 09:14 AM

My process for getting past the quilting block is to require myself to do at least 15 minutes every night. The first few nights I have to set the timer but as the week progresses, you find yourself going over the time.....and finding things to do....and then wham.....you're back in the swing. You're right, sometimes you just can't pinpoint a reason for your block...it's just there.

Judith1005 01-09-2012 09:24 AM

I need it to.

Where is my motivation. (I need it back, please.) I think I'm feeling the let down from the Holidays. Wrap that up in to many projects started and not finished.(I shouldn't have counted them.) I'm over-whelmed. But, I have 2 little doll quilts to finish before the end of the month. (they are on a dead line.) I will finish them. Hopefully I will break through my block. Good luck. Try concentrating on 1 thing at a time and see where you get with that. :)

crafty pat 01-09-2012 09:28 AM

I play with my stash, look at my pattern's and pictures in my mag's, that usually gets me started.

Tartan 01-09-2012 11:50 AM

We all get in a quilting slump once in a while. I think you are just tired from the packing... and the moving... and the unpacking...now I'm tired just thinking about it. Grab a stack of quilt magazines, put your feet up and enjoy a nice hot cup of tea/coffee/chocolate. Maybe go in and get your new sewing spot set up and looking nice. Fondle your fabric for a bit, that always cheers me up. Hopefully you'll soon be ready to get started again.:)