Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I need a new - good iron - any recommendations? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-need-new-good-iron-any-recommendations-t149387.html)

WQRanch 08-31-2011 01:21 PM

I seem to have gone thru so many good, bad, almost okay irons in my lifetime. Any recommendations on a good iron for quilting projects? I like good steam and perhaps one that does not have a shut off - or one you can extend the shut off time on. And one that will last longer than 12 months.

donnajean 08-31-2011 01:22 PM

My Rowenta is about 12 yrs. old & still works great. I do use distilled water.

erstan947 08-31-2011 01:30 PM

My Rowenta lasted about 2 years and always leaked. I am just as happy with an inexpensive one. I don't use the steam feature. I use lots of spray starch.

kkdolls 08-31-2011 01:40 PM

I have an Oliso Smart Iron and I absolutely love it. I have had it about 6 months and use it a great deal. It has never spit water and is wonderful to use on my quilts. Highly recommend it.

katier825 08-31-2011 01:42 PM

Is there such a thing? LOL

I've read many disappointing comments about the expensive ones, so I just keep buying the less expensive ones. I bought a Shark. Other than shutting off by itself, it's not bad. I like it best of the ones I've had lately. They tend to "fall" at my house, so I'm better off not spending too much anyway.

virtualbernie 08-31-2011 01:42 PM

They're not making irons (or anything for that matter) as good as they used to. I think they are made to go bad after a time so the manufacturers can stay in business :-) I think someone on the QB commented on the fact that quilters use irons way more than normal wear and tear so that may be the problem also. I know I've bought more than my share of irons... Right now I have Continental Platinum dry iron and a Rowenta Pressure Iron and Steamer--they both work great -- keeping my fingers crossed.

JUNEC 08-31-2011 02:02 PM

I need to buy a new one as well - will be watching with interest.

auntpiggylpn 08-31-2011 02:09 PM

I usually buy my irons at the big box stores, not paying more than $20 for them. I iron just about everyday if not for quilting then for clothing. I just happend upon a great sale at Hancocks about a month ago and got the $120 Rowenta with all discounts I only paid $28 dollars for it! It is taking some time to get used to it because it is heavier than the cheaper ones but I absolutely love how my finished products look whether it is a cotton shirt or a piece of fabric. I WOULD NOT have paid $120 for it though, just happened to be at the right place at the right time!

Challys 08-31-2011 02:10 PM

I recently bought a Sunbeam at Target I believe. I have had trouble too but remembered my very first iron 40+ yrs ago was a Sunbeam. This one does have the auto turn off but other than that has been fine so far. As I recall it was inthe $20 range.

kwhite 08-31-2011 02:15 PM

Go to yard sales and house auctions and get old reliable ones. I have a Rowenta that I paid way too much for and I hate it. It beeps way too soon and it leaks like almost every one that I have seen talked about on here. Cheaper is better it seems where irons are concerned.