Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I need a new seam ripper!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-need-new-seam-ripper-t6198.html)

Moonpi 04-16-2008 06:09 AM

I have a batch of them - the larger handled, ergonomic ones fit my hand better. I also use one that stands in a magnetic pincatcher a lot. About the only kind I have not had luck with are the ones with the curved razor-type blades, like an exacto knife. They cut through thread and fabric, both. I found I had to be so careful that it actually took longer.

tlrnhi 04-16-2008 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by Moonpi
I have a batch of them - the larger handled, ergonomic ones fit my hand better. I also use one that stands in a magnetic pincatcher a lot. About the only kind I have not had luck with wre the ones with the curved razor-type blades, like an exacto knife. They cut through thread and fabric, both. I found I had to be so careful that it actually took longer.

It's bad enough I stab myself with mine, wouldn't want one with a little razor, I'd be cutting myself all the time

Bluphrog 04-16-2008 06:34 AM

My son, an EMT, brought home some disposable scapels (he was using them to carve a pumpkin for Halloween). A couple of them had a curved blade like my favorite little seam ripper, so I "borrowed" them from him. They have a longer handle than the seam ripper, but they are VERY sharp.

Harmony 04-16-2008 07:04 AM

I'm with tirnhi. Mine weem to get lost almost daily! I keep buying more, but they still disappear. If I ever find them all I'll offer a special sale on seam rippers!

Cathe 04-16-2008 10:03 AM

I recommend Clover.

Pam Pollock 04-16-2008 12:09 PM

I bought an ergonomic seam ripper at JoAnns & it has a pink handle but I don't remember the brand name. I like it very well and it has a small point. If I have a lot of seam ripping to do I use a little hobby clamp that suctions down to my table to hold material on one side of seam while I gently pull the material on the other side of seam. This helps my hands so that they don't get so tired & it exposes the threads better so that I don't catch the material by mistake (hate it when that happens).

Nina 04-16-2008 01:04 PM

I used the same one since 1969 until just recently and didn't even know how dull it had become until I used a new one.

Many times I start with the seam ripper and then use the rotary cutter from there. Probably got that idea from the posts in the past on the board.

kathyd 04-16-2008 03:42 PM

Thanks everyone for the input. It is lots of fun to read the comments that are sent back, and the turn a topic takes!

sewmuch 04-16-2008 06:57 PM

I use a Clover seam ripper, also.

barnbum 04-16-2008 07:01 PM

Ya know... hubby says that if I clean up my sewing room, I might find them. I keep telling him that if I clean up my sewing room and have EVERYTHING put away, then that will leave empty spaces where I would have to buy MORE fabric!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hmm--seam rippers get dull? :shock: I, uh, didn't know that. Good thing I'm here. I have one seam ripper--I've used it a LOT :!: :!: :!: Every time I can't find it, it's under my sewing machine. It always takes me 5-15 minutes to remember to look there. :roll:

I should invest in another and see what it's like to use a sharp one. :D