Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I need opinions please (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-need-opinions-please-t281294.html)

wildyard 08-13-2016 05:31 PM

I need opinions please

1 Attachment(s)
Before I continue with this Ribbon Quilt, I need some opinions please. I just am not sure there is enough contrast between the blue background and the green ribbon (for lymphoma). I had hoped for the effect of the ribbon floating over a sky background.
Any thoughts or suggestions?

cjsews 08-13-2016 05:49 PM

I think if you keep your greens in the medium to dark range they will show better. The light squares tend to let your ribbon blend into the background

Jeanne S 08-13-2016 06:28 PM

I see 5 really light squares in the green area that could be replaced with darker greens. Will be nice---I think your instincts to go with the medium/darker greens will help to get the pop you want.

Tartan 08-13-2016 06:30 PM

When you get done and view it from further away it will be enough contrast. You can always couch some yard or ribbon if needed later.

Bree123 08-13-2016 07:57 PM

It looks like enough contrast to me. If anything, you could maybe put some more of those red-yellowish check fabric pieces along the center of the ribbon to provide more contrast -- also, you could add more of the greys in the middle blue section to create more contrast, like what exists around the outer edge of the ribbon.

As far as having it "float", what about adding faux trapunto behind the green ribbon?

judy363905 08-13-2016 08:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Jeanne S (Post 7626654)
I see 5 really light squares in the green area that could be replaced with darker greens. Will be nice---I think your instincts to go with the medium/darker greens will help to get the pop you want.

I changed your photo to mono and hope this help to see the squares that could be changed
Hope this helps with your decisions

Judy in Phx, AZ

zozee 08-13-2016 08:08 PM

I see the contrast. I wouldn't rip out and replace, but I'd continue, making sure there are more dark squares along the edges of the ribbon.

toverly 08-14-2016 05:10 AM

Wow the black and white photo really shows which ones don't give the pop you like. One of our Guild speakers said, color does the work, but contrast gets the credit. So right.

ManiacQuilter2 08-14-2016 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by cjsews (Post 7626629)
I think if you keep your greens in the medium to dark range they will show better. The light squares tend to let your ribbon blend into the background

I agree, You might try to use your actual squares laying them out to try to make the ribbon blowing in the wind.

117becca 08-14-2016 06:23 AM

The black & white shows it perfectly. I think your blues and greens are the same tone value and not giving you the contrast you're looking for.

I would consider making the blue lighter or the green darker. Also, consider eliminating the white squares. They kind of look out of place.