Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I need some help (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-need-some-help-t190794.html)

BellaBoo 06-04-2012 05:20 PM

When I make a baby quilt for a gift I make it in baby colors and pattern suited for a baby. As a gift I don't usually ask what the parents want. I never say I'm making a quilt as a gift, I just make it and they know when it's opened at the shower.

Jeanette Frantz 06-04-2012 06:44 PM

About ten years ago, I made a Sunbonnet Sue (all appliqued blocks, using all the dainty floral or other print, baby rickrack, 1/8" ribbon (on the hats), etc. The pattern also has instructions -- it had two distinct borders/sashing on it, separated by a varigated (pastel colors) eyelet. This is a beautiful pattern. If I had an extra copy of the book, I would send it if you wanted it, but I only have one. What I did (and of course it's not the only way to do it) , I bought some quilt-double-backed fusion material and ironed the applique pieces together, then zig-zagged it in buttonhole stitch all around every piece. I even made little bows and attached them and zig-zagged the on in the appropriate places.

First and foremost, you have to make what YOU want to make! The quilt I made turned out very well, since I was (and am) a rank amateur, but I did hand-quilt it (it took me five months to make since I was and still am working full-time), but I had a lot of fun doing it, and the sore fingers right along with it!

To make a long story shorter, the original size was supposed to be 28" x 36" (or something like that--I'm not looking at the pattern right now). In my ignorance, I said that's not a quilt, that's a lap pad. I doubled the number of blocks and enlarged all the pattern pieces and the white blocks. I'm not saying I would do that again, but it was a lot of fun!

Sorry, I guess I sound like a blithering idiot!

Jeanette Frantz

TanyaL 06-04-2012 08:21 PM

I would ask what the mother wants, what her color choices are. Although it is old fashioned, my personal favorites are the quilts that tell a nursery rhyme story in the blocks, although I think they are the hardest to do- or a Noah's ark story quilt. The appliques or the crayon colored blocks are difficult but I think the quilts are the best baby quilts and usually are cherished by everyone.

jaciqltznok 06-04-2012 09:04 PM

skip the military stuff and think BABY...

ZugZug 06-04-2012 09:04 PM

I agree with previous posters and say just go for a "baby" quilt and dont worry about the parent's professions. And I can say with all honesty be glad its a girl...there are sooooo many girl orientated fabrics and panels out there that I'm sure you will have a hard time narrowing it down. I am currently making two baby quilts for two different baby boys and oh my goodness boy orientated fabrics are not that plentiful!

I too like baby quilts that are interactive. Both of the quilts I am doing are the same panel but one is blue and the other is orange/green. Its an alphabet quilt where each letter has an object that starts with that letter. Everyone always says how useful they are at entertaining a child in a waiting room.

I say, do a google image search for baby quilts and see if anything you find inspires you. Afterall, the quilt could become more of a chore than a joy if you are doing a pattern that you dislike.

Rose_P 06-05-2012 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by hopetoquilt (Post 5265667)
Super girly front with pick camo backing. Best of both worlds!

:thumbup:

The whole idea of pink camo fabric makes me smile. I can't think where that would work as camouflage - maybe in a flower bed?

I also agree with those who suggest getting info from the grandma about any theme or color preferences the parents might have mentioned.

I love the group-think that happens on this site all the time!

GrannieAnnie 06-05-2012 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by nhweaver (Post 5264777)
I would pick out the fabric and quilt pattern that fits a baby girl. If you want to honor their parents commitment to the US military, I would pick up a bit of "pink camoflage" to put in the quilt.

I like the idea of a bit of pink camo.

jmabby 06-05-2012 03:07 PM

Some people don't like girly things. I would go with something you think the parents/grandparents would like. I have made baby blankets with 30s child fabric & plaid or polka dot backing. I have also used baby blocks and animals with small green or yellow checked backing. Most parents appreciate anything made with love, good luck.

quiltingb1 06-05-2012 05:10 PM

Ask what the theme and/or colors of the babies nursery will be and make something along those lines. Just because the parents are in the military doesn't mean the baby's room will be in a military theme. Something girly will do just fine. I have 4 grandkids and each had a different theme and color scheme for their rooms. One was Winnie the Pooh, one was Tinkerbell, one was fairies and one was teddy bears. I am sure they will appreciate anything you make. Don't stress over it. Enjoy and have fun making it.

quilter1943 06-05-2012 05:13 PM

Absolutely -- a baby girl quilt!