Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I need some help!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-need-some-help-t49085.html)

ginnie6 06-10-2010 06:20 AM

okay...no painting...my sewing area is in our bedroom and dh and I about killed each other deciding on this color! No way am I changing it! I fought hard for it and at the time had no idea it would be a dewing nook. so...I think I will look and see if I can find something for shelving to put under the ironing table....it needs to be just a tad lower and then it would work to just roll over to. I just made a little ironing board to go with the treadle. I use it alot. I can move the machine under the ironing table to the den or somewhere...not like its being used easily anyway. I do ahve a rolling chair and shelves up to the ceiling. I'm trying to do Bonnie Hunter's scrap program. I'll start saving for a little iron though....that would take up less space for just pressing blocks.

stitchinwitch 06-10-2010 06:23 AM

Try to get as much off the floor and hang items on the wall - unless you have those slanted walls (like I do)

raptureready 06-10-2010 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by ginnie6
okay...no painting...my sewing area is in our bedroom and dh and I about killed each other deciding on this color! No way am I changing it! I fought hard for it and at the time had no idea it would be a dewing nook. so...I think I will look and see if I can find something for shelving to put under the ironing table....it needs to be just a tad lower and then it would work to just roll over to. I just made a little ironing board to go with the treadle. I use it alot. I can move the machine under the ironing table to the den or somewhere...not like its being used easily anyway. I do ahve a rolling chair and shelves up to the ceiling. I'm trying to do Bonnie Hunter's scrap program. I'll start saving for a little iron though....that would take up less space for just pressing blocks.

I have a tiny iron about 3 or 4" tall when sitting up that I love for pressing seams. There's no steam but it works great. They're available at most LQS's, Hancocks and maybe Joanns. I don't think they're too much but watch for coupons/sales. They come in red/white, blue/white and pink/white that I know of, maybe in other colors too. I think it's made by Smart tek. You can also use a small travel iron and they're fairly cheap.

sewjoyce 06-10-2010 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by Pam
Move your sewing machine over about 2 feet to the left and put an ironing surface right next to you on the right. You can purchase a wooden tv tray, cover with one layer of cotton batting and a layer of muslin and set it right next to you, works great.

Sounds like a fantastic idea!!

And normally I'll "finger press" to keep those up and down motions to a minimum....

kapatt 06-10-2010 07:11 AM

My little sewing area is just not flowing. I started this morning on the signature blocks for dd's quilt and i find myself sewing a seam and getting up to go press, sew a seam, get up press and trim.....and so on. I just feel like I'm spending the majority of my time going from one small place to another! I have a 9x9 area so its really small and there are several machines in this area.

I have a small area to work in too. What REALLY works for me is to have either an "L" shape area with the sewing machine on one leg of the L OR have a table behind me and my sewing machine. I keep my cutting mat, ironing mat and a lamp on the table. When the table is behind me, I can swivel around (I'm using an office chair for my sewing chair) and work on the table work part of my projects.
When I use the "L" shape design, I just turn to my left where the other table is at. I also have a plastic floor mat underneath my chair so that I can slide easily. All of this saves time as I work on my projects.

Kathy

stitchhappy 06-10-2010 07:44 AM

I just painted and redid my sewing room. I bought 2 6ft bookcases and it made a big difference. I also gave away ALOT of fabric because I used to sew alot of clothes but I only pretty much sew quilts now, so I didn't need it. Other than that, just some organization helped tremendously. I actually have floor space now to walk through the room. Much happier room to be n now.

BellaBoo 06-10-2010 07:59 AM

okay...no painting...my sewing area is in our bedroom and dh and I about killed each other deciding on this color! No way am I changing it! I fought hard for it and at the time had no idea it would be a dewing nook.

So you changed your mind about the color. Painting is no big deal. I change wall colors all the time. It's the cheapest way to redo a room for a fresh new look. I don't understand about DH caring what color a room is unless it's black or poka dot.

:shock:

Just last week DH said our foster DD's wall had about 8 layers of paint when she was picking out a new wall color to match her new hair color, purple with blue streaks.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

nativetexan 06-10-2010 08:16 AM

I use one of those wooden rollers to press at the machine. it's like the plastic wall paper rollers they use on the seams of wall paper. even a long plastic 'wand" or what ever they are called work. Eleanor Burns uses her fingers.

ginnie6 06-10-2010 08:56 AM

believe it or not I have one of those dh's who is particular about color! I can have it any color I want.....as long as he likes it! We have had a blue bedroom for as long as we have been married and that's what color he wanted....blue. I wanted an earth tone. He doesn't like earth tones so we settled on this. Trust me it took hours of looking at paint samples for us to agree on this color. We've also been in this room just over a year. Very few times in 24 years that we have actually loudly disagreed and it was over the color of walls!

ginnie6 06-10-2010 09:03 AM

here is what I have done though.....I lowered my cutting table by a few inches and made a small ironing board to sit on the end of it....its to the left of my treadle and all I have to do turn. I can also slide my emachine over a bit and set the small board there. I am going to look for a small bookcase to put under the big ironing board though for storage. Its amazing how much easier putting blocks together is when you're not having to move so much!