Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I need some information where I can get a glide foot for my long arm. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-need-some-information-where-i-can-get-glide-foot-my-long-arm-t308319.html)

d.rickman 11-27-2019 09:50 PM

I need some information where I can get a glide foot for my long arm.

I have heard there is a glider foot ( in the shape of a dish or spoon) for long arm quilting machines. I have done a search on the internet, but to no avail, and was hoping to get more information from those
quilters who may know what I am searching for. I would like it for quilting applique and ribbonwork on a quilt. Any information would be appreciated. Thanking you in advance.

twhvlr 11-28-2019 03:06 AM

You don’t say what brand of machine that you have but here is a cup foot for an Innova.
https://josquiltingstudio.com/innova-cup-foot/
Vicki in Colorado

eparys 11-28-2019 04:03 AM

Handi Quilter has them as well - I use one on my Advante and love it- use it all the time. What machine do you have?

Macybaby 11-28-2019 07:45 AM

The glide foot is the one I leave on the machine and only take it off when I need to use something else (like the ruler foot). The ones HQ sells are plastic and I'm on my third one - they get stress cracks where the screw goes and over time won't they get a bit sloppy. Wish they were more durable, I don't like having a foot that is a wearable item.

Since it's my favorite foot, I keep an extra one in stock and buy another when I start using that one.

quiltingshorttimer 11-28-2019 08:51 AM

check with your manufacturer--Gammill has a quick change feet package (pretty $$) that includes a spoon foot--they are out of stock until about the first of the year as there is some modifications being done is what I was told.

feline fanatic 11-28-2019 09:54 AM

When you say ribbon work and quilting applique, what exactly do you mean? For ribbon work, are you talking about couching (sewing the ribbon or yarn to the quilt top with the longarm as decorative feature)? If so a cup foot is not the proper foot for this work, a couching foot would be a better choice and the shape is similar on some brands. Couching can be done with a cup foot provided the ribbon or yarn is large enough that the needle hole in the foot will guide the yarn or ribbon but if the hole is too large it won't properly guide it through when doing curves so the quilting thread will not catch the ribbon/yarn. Many Innova owners have reported that the trapunto foot is also suitable for couching.

I'm at a loss about your applique comment. The cup foot was originally made for doing pantos from the back of the machine and the cup shape is made to glide smoothly over a quilt top that has uneven surfaces and reduces the chance of getting a pleat on the top when the foot goes over these uneven spots (elements like flanges or piecing like is done in the Mexican Star quilt where curves are achieved by folding over a triangle to form an arc or a quilt with a lot of extra fullness that needs to be quilted down). Personally, I would never do an E2E over applique but I do know some people do and some clients don't have the budget for custom quilting an applique quilt.

Most feet for long arms are proprietary and not interchangable so each brand of longarm have their own special feet specifically for that machine. Not all machines have specialty feet.

GEMRM 11-28-2019 04:33 PM

If you're talking about a cup foot for a longarm - if your machine company doesn't make one, it's possible to make one yourself. My husband made one for me, using one of the feet from my machine (I think the 1/4 inch foot) and the clear plastic lid from a health and beauty product. He used an expoxy to attach the clear plastic lid (trimmed to a small dome).

We spent quite a bit of time browsing the health and beauty section looking for the right lid.... got lots of strange looks as we were calling back and forth to each other during the hunt!

wc00007 11-29-2019 03:07 AM

Try quiltfrog. They may have it.

lilli480 11-29-2019 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby (Post 8333754)
The glide foot is the one I leave on the machine and only take it off when I need to use something else (like the ruler foot). The ones HQ sells are plastic and I'm on my third one - they get stress cracks where the screw goes and over time won't they get a bit sloppy. Wish they were more durable, I don't like having a foot that is a wearable item.

Since it's my favorite foot, I keep an extra one in stock and buy another when I start using that one.

Place a small, thin washer between the screw and the plastic glide foot. I have had mine for 1.5 years and it shows no signs of stress or wear. Good luck.

Macybaby 11-29-2019 07:05 AM

Thanks lilli, I'm going to try that.

Speaking of couching feet, I'm going to use mine for the first time today.