Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I need a stash.. :-) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-need-stash-t209015.html)

annthreecats 12-22-2012 12:05 PM

I usually buy my fabric from JoAnns or Connecting Threads when it's on sale. I have built up quite a nice collection of fabric in the last 2 years just by buying extra yardage when doing a project or getting sale fabric that I like. Have fun shopping.

rush88888 12-22-2012 06:18 PM

i didn't start stashing fabric on purpose! honest!

lfstamper 12-22-2012 06:21 PM

Check out items for sale on the board - there are lots of beautiful fabrics for sale here that are very inexpensive. Should help build your stash!

sewplease 12-22-2012 07:33 PM

I'm on a very tight budget. I'm also into very scrappy quilts thanks to Bonnie Hunter. What I've been doing lately is buying 1/4 to 1/3 yard pieces. It gives me the variety of strips I need for a project and adds to my stash plus gives me that happy feeling buying quilt fabric brings, lol. :-)

One thing I've learned over the years, however, is not to buy fabric simply because it seems like a good buy. I've got some OK stuff from at least 15 years ago that I thought I SHOULD buy because it was a good deal and I might use it someday. Seems rather obvious but when I was first getting started I thought I had to build this all encompassing stash. So my advice is start small, take your time, and have fun!

quilttiger 12-23-2012 04:15 AM

Over ten years ago, there was a lady in one of my classes who said she buys ten yards of each fabric she gets. A couple years later, I came across her and asked if she was still doing that. She replied she now buys five yards. With the current cost of fabrics nowadays, I wonder how she is doing. Haven't seen her in ages, smile.

karenpatrick 12-23-2012 04:51 AM

A stash is not something that happens over night. I don't think anyone here just went out and bought enough fabric to constitute a stash. A stash happens gradually. Whenever you buy for a project , buy some extra for a stash. When you go on vacation find the nearest quilt shop and buy some fabric you like. Shop your LQS and buy a few yards for your stash. Pretty soon, you'll have a stash. Don't buy too much to keep on hand as Im sure your tastes will change over time. I only buy what I really, really like and there are some fabrics in my stash that I will never use up because I just don't care for them any more. I'll never get rid of them as they are part of "my stash."

AshleyR 12-23-2012 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by Dina (Post 5734858)
I got my stash started two Christmas's ago. I told everyone who asked that they could buy me 2 or 3 yards of fabric for Christmas. I ended up with 37 yards of fabric!! And I liked all of it. My friends either bought colors they know I like or fabric with cats on it. I felt like a queen, surveying all my new fabric!! Most of it I have used up, but it was a nice way to start a stash. :)

Dina

Oh, that's a very good idea!!!

pumpkinpatchquilter 12-23-2012 05:21 AM

Oh you lucky duck, I hope you get your long arm class! Do share pictures! :) When I first started sewing I remember thinking my stash was so pitiful! I still don't have TONS of fabric...I really use my stash! I used to buy fat quarters and half yards when I was really into a scrappy look. Lately I've been into more, controlled scrappy. So I've started buying two to three yeards of fabric. I have TONS of small pieces but just like you I don't have a lot of backings sitting around. So I'm building my back stash!!! I figure if I have at least two yards of something I can pieced together a back or if I have a big quilt match it up with another two yard cut.

alwayslearning 12-23-2012 05:28 AM

Watch for yard and estate sales. Check thrift stores often. Never can tell what you will find.

solstice3 12-23-2012 06:22 AM

our LQS has a clearance room. I always hit it first for 1/2 price fats and yardage. Another think I do to add to my stash is hit the online sales with a girlfriend. We pick out a variety of pieces we like, get 1/2 yard of each, and buy enough to qualify for free shipping When the box arrives, we cut the 1/2's in fat quarters so we have a nice selection.