Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I Need to Vent!!!!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-need-vent-t131921.html)

lovelyl 06-20-2011 02:16 PM

OK, I know there is no solution to this, but I just need to vent. When I purchased my embroidery machine ( in fairness, I will tell the brand) I also "bit the bullet" and purchased the software that would allow me to design my own embroidery. I didn't feel I could afford the upgrades (two since I purchased) so I continued using the old software which was fine for my purposes. Last month, my computer crashed and I had to replace it. My embroidery software would not work on my new computer, so I just called the company to see what the problem was. I was informed that the company was no longer supporting the old version and it would not work on my new computer operating system. When I asked about an upgrade, they said there was none, I would just have to purchase the new version, no cut in cost what so ever. The new version is WAY too expensive for me now. I feel like I am being punished because my computer crashed!!!! There, I feel better after venting. I guess. I still don't have any software for my embroidery machine. Bummer. Thanks for listening! :-(

bibliostone 06-20-2011 02:19 PM

Do you have a computer store near you where you could talk to some tech people? They can sometimes work miracles by having your machine emulate an older operating system that enables you to use older software. Don't know how they do it -- just like magic to me!

alikat110 06-20-2011 02:20 PM

So sorry. Not every companies customer service is that good. Maybe attempt sending a letter instead. Sometimes it ends up in just the right hands.

SueSew 06-20-2011 02:20 PM

Linda, it is not good but it is the story of computer software. When they can get you with an incompatible-version upgrade charge, they will do it, and at the worst time. And if they can get you with a buy-new-version as opposed to just the upgrade charge, I'm sure they are delighted.
Sympathies!
Sue

quiltsillysandi 06-20-2011 02:20 PM

That's so unfair....If nothing else, give the people with the older version a big enough break they can afford the software....What brand did you buy??

SueDor 06-20-2011 02:23 PM

Speaking of computer, My home home is so slow lately.

patski 06-20-2011 02:23 PM

the sewing machines companies keep us hostage to keep buying the software. I really hate that too. I have husqvarna and all there stuff is super expensive

hobo2000 06-20-2011 02:33 PM

Take your computer to a techie, he can run a dual system one with the current windows and another with your old windows version and load your old software on to that system. When the system come up it asks you which system to open with. I am operating with 3 systems because my Janome is so old I have to run Windows 98, my digitizing softWare is win2000 and my new software for my new Janome is windows 7. It all works fine now and only cost me $50.00 to have it set up that way.

Feather3 06-20-2011 02:39 PM

Bernina is one company that has done this to it's customers. I also had to upgrade, paying allot for the newer version software, so it'd work on my new computer. Yep they hold us hostage with all these constant upgrades to newer systems.

Digital camera companies are another one that you have to buy a newer camera, because the older one no longer is supported.

sueisallaboutquilts 06-20-2011 02:43 PM

Bummer!