Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I need your advice about marking a quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-need-your-advice-about-marking-quilt-t67482.html)

marymc 09-29-2010 05:10 PM

I have very little experience with hand quilting and I want to improve. I have put together a simple top using rectangles. I was planning to mark the blocks with a simple leaf design and use this to practice my hand quilting. I am sooo frustrated with trying to mark the stencil. I have tried several marking pencils and they seem so difficult. Either they don't show up or the lead breaks. I have used several colors. Does anyone have any advice on better pencils or method? Thanks!

LindaM 09-29-2010 05:16 PM

One of my favourite methods ... you know the Crayola washable markers? Well, they wash out of fabric too! Yes, I know - heresy!

I have not had any issues at all with the markers damaging the fabric - and the marks do wash right out. I always wash my quilts as a final step anyway.

Use the ones with a nice fine tip. Lots of colours to contrast with whatever is in your fabric.

Learned this from a LQS machine quilting class, well-respected and successful owner and teacher.

stitchingmemories 09-29-2010 08:27 PM

I've had that same problem. Thanks LindaM. Helpfull information.

Pickles 09-29-2010 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by LindaM
One of my favourite methods ... you know the Crayola washable markers? Well, they wash out of fabric too! Yes, I know - heresy!

I have not had any issues at all with the markers damaging the fabric - and the marks do wash right out. I always wash my quilts as a final step anyway.

Use the ones with a nice fine tip. Lots of colours to contrast with whatever is in your fabric.

Learned this from a LQS machine quilting class, well-respected and successful owner and teacher.

This is what I have always used , and I have never had a quilt that it didn't wash out off, even if the marks had been on the quilt for awhile they still all came out in the wash..
:D

Quilting Di 09-30-2010 05:00 AM

Good to know....thanks all! :thumbup:

joan_quilts 09-30-2010 05:07 AM

Great information! Thanks!

Holice 09-30-2010 05:18 AM

what markers are you using. and the colors you are marking on

marymc 09-30-2010 05:48 AM

The quilt I am currently doing has a variety of colors and shades so I have tried both light and dark marking pencils. the washable markers sound like a good idea. i will check it out. Thanks LindaM

janedee 09-30-2010 05:49 AM

i have just discovered artists water soluble pencils - have only used light grey and silver grey and they wash out or even just come of with a damp cloth and very easy to use have been using a make called 'Derwent' don't know if its available over there though and easy to sharpen to a point which makes marking through stencils alot easier

cindyg 09-30-2010 10:23 AM

I, too, have used Crayola washable markers with great success. I always wash my finished quilts to remove any marks and the glue I use to put the binding on.