Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I need your help to improve and learn! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-need-your-help-improve-learn-t229841.html)

GV09 09-09-2013 03:53 PM

I need your help to improve and learn!

4 Attachment(s)
Hello to all! How are you? I hope that very well!
I'm sewing My Dear Jean blocks: G-5, G-6, G-7 and G-8. This week I think that all I have been complicated!
Today I started with G-8. This block has many seams Y. So I prepared all parts with English Paper Piecing technique.
But I got to this point and "born" a central "hole" (will see in the pictures)!
This never happened to me when I did hexies. Only this time to sew these diamonds.
This Center can be improved? Have it really a solution?
Or is it a block which in my Dear Jean must "show" with a "middle button"?
It is the only solution that I can think of! Lol! : (
I appreciate your answers, then it will be a way to improve my technique!
And also discover that what was I did wrong!
Many thanks in advance!
A big hug to all!

misspriss 09-09-2013 05:24 PM

I think if you sew the two center halves together like an X, then add the sides it will close the hole.

QuiltnNan 09-09-2013 06:38 PM

it looks to me like you may have cut off the seam allowances at the points. are you using EQ? which block type did you print? personally, i would choose Templates. if you are doing English paper piecing, you have to have the seam allowance all the way around the piece and then sew to just the 1/4" seam allowance mark, leaving the seam allowances for the points 'free'. then, as misspriss had said, sew together in pairs, then the pairs together, then the two halves. i hope this helps

QuiltingCrazie 09-09-2013 08:16 PM

I've done a similar block with epp. I agree with the above posts it was the order you pieced it. Funny how that really makes a difference in stars but it does strangely enough

Kitsie 09-10-2013 06:36 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Hi Gladys! I did this one by making 2 halves and joining them. No hole!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]435134[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]435135[/ATTACH]

Jingle 09-10-2013 07:44 AM

If you don't want to redo the block then I would find a decoration to cover the hole. Your work is wonderful as usual.

sewmary 09-10-2013 02:06 PM

Beautiful block you've made! I agree that you could very gently close up the hole with a little hand sewing.

amelia0607 09-10-2013 02:18 PM

I love the block! It has a gorgeous 3-D effect and the colors are so rich! I'm sorry that I can't offer any advice - too new at this but it's nice that I can learn to watch the order that blocks are put together.

WisWis 09-11-2013 04:56 AM

I think it looks lovely-Good Luck!

SandyQuilter 09-11-2013 05:56 AM

No Problem. I teach my students this technique all the time. Thread a fine needle with regular sewing thread that matches the yellow (green would work also) about 10 inches long and make a small knot. Bring the knot up from the back side, right at the edge of the small hole to the right side of the block. Work from the RIGHT SIDE to do the following. Catch two threads of each diamond right at the edge of the hole, going around the hole in a circle into each of the 8 diamonds. Bring the needle and thread out to the RIGHT SIDE of the block. Here's the magic---draw up the thread and the hole will close perfectly. Finally, poke the needle to the back of the block, knot and cut the thread. This works if holes are fairly small, but if you can stick your finger through the hole, then it needs to be redone. However, yours will close perfectly.
I always make my stars in this fashion, adding one diamond to another (1 to 8) and close the final seam to create the star. This method ALWAYS leaves a tiny hole which I close as mentioned. Perfect matching!
Rest easy, it will work.
SandyQuilter