Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I need your opinion please! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-need-your-opinion-please-t41267.html)

Gal 03-30-2010 08:15 PM

I think it depends entirely on your relationship with your Mother inlaw. For mine I would not charge anything but expect her to buy the fabric and threads hooks etc. Same goes for close friends and sisters etc, however having been a curtain maker as part of my job I can vouch that there can be a lot of work involved in say, lined curtains with tiebacks and valances etc!
What kind of curtain are you making, long or short, is it a simple unlined rod pocket type or the more elaborate as I have already mentioned? I think you need to take those things into consideration perhaps.

Gal

danmar 03-31-2010 12:43 AM

I agree that it would depend on what exactly she was asking you to make. Simple rod pocket type or lined, pleated types.
Plus it would depend on the relationship. I would at least charge her for the fabric and go from there.

sewaholic 03-31-2010 01:15 AM

Does she babysit for free and help you out ??
How many meals have you eaten at her place where she buys the food??

I would never have charged my mil for anything.
If she can afford to buy the material, just get her to do that.
I guess it depends on the relationship you have with her, what would hubby like you to do for his Mother.

Up North 03-31-2010 04:31 AM

In this case I would just say the materials to make these cost me $so many dollars and if she is a generous person she will give you extra. Unless you want to make money doing it.

mamaw 03-31-2010 07:14 AM

If it were my mother-in-law I would just make them out of the kindness of my heart. Sometimes one cannot afford to do that, so then I would charge for the materials and donate the labor.

Margie 03-31-2010 08:59 AM

Depending on your finances and hers....

I would either make them a gift or charge her for the materials. If you can afford to make them as a gift...I think it would be wonderful...IF NOT, I would let her pay for the materials.

Margie

Oklahoma Suzie 03-31-2010 02:53 PM

I could never charge her for labor, I would just ask that she pay for the fabric.

Corky 03-31-2010 04:31 PM

I guess it would depend on whether this is your business or a favor. Also, does she have a lot of $$? and, whose idea was it? I would certainly have her buy the fabric and supplies. I would never charge my MIL unless I was doing it professionally and they were a real big deal, like drapes, in which case I would help her shop for them, rather than make them :) I would say, happy birthday or mother's day or something. Charging family is such a touchy thing, isn't it?

sylvia77 03-31-2010 06:41 PM

It's for my daughter's husbands mother. She has all kind of family gatherings of which we are never invited to. I sent her xmas cards, none from her. We aren't close at all and though I invite her over, she always has an excuse not to come over.

sylvia77 03-31-2010 06:44 PM

She bought the fabric. I told her it was free and she insisted on paying me $40.00 so I guess I got my answer.