Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I obviously used too much school glue... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-obviously-used-too-much-school-glue-t215140.html)

Mitch's mom 02-28-2013 06:55 PM

I obviously used too much school glue...

Because my quilt is stiff in small spots and 2 of my machines refused to sew over them without skipping stitches. It was older glue - maybe 2 years old but a new container and it was Elmer's. I tried to FMQ using my Pfaff 6120 but it skipped. I tried a larger needle with no change, so I pulled out a Singer 15-91 figuring it would chew through the glue like butter. Nope. I used a size 14 needle and bumped it up to a 16 before I gave up on using the Singer.

As my last resort I pulled out my Pfaff 1222E. I put a size 14 needle in, dropped the dogs, and we were off to the races! I so love that machine. I don't know what I will do if anything happens to it. The Pfaff 6120 is a great machine too, but it doesn't have the oomph! of the 1222E.

I won't be using school glue again on a large project, I'll stick with spray basting. Whether it was user error (most likely) or the fault of the machines i used, I spent too much time I will never get back fooling with the results of the glue.

cathyvv 02-28-2013 07:19 PM

I soooo know what you mean about wasting time...

mighty 02-28-2013 07:47 PM

Oops, sounds like to much glue!! LOL

CherryPie 02-28-2013 07:51 PM

You've convinced me to never use glue!! LOL

AshleyR 03-01-2013 03:06 AM

Spray some water on the blobs and it should help soften them. I found that out when I used glue and marked my quilt and sprayed water on the markings and the glue un-stiffened!

Are you going to the Pigeon Forge show?

Mitch's mom 03-01-2013 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by AshleyR (Post 5895965)
Spray some water on the blobs and it should help soften them. I found that out when I used glue and marked my quilt and sprayed water on the markings and the glue un-stiffened!

Are you going to the Pigeon Forge show?

When is it? If it is this weekend - no. We are under a snow advisory up here. Again.

AshleyR 03-01-2013 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by Mitch's mom (Post 5895966)
When is it? If it is this weekend - no. We are under a snow advisory up here. Again.

No, it's the 12-16th. If I go, it will be my first quilt show! Whoo hoo!

Mitch's mom 03-01-2013 03:27 AM

Why don't we plan to go together? I can pick you up if Dave doesn't want to go with you and you don't want to drive by yourself.

AshleyR 03-02-2013 04:29 AM

Sounds great! He wants to go (he's my enabler!!). If you pick us up, we'll pay for parking!

Stitchnripper 03-02-2013 04:39 AM

Oh gosh, please give the glue another chance!! Go really easy on it, you don't need a lot. I love it so much more than any other method and I haven't had a problem with it at all with the quilting. Many, many of us on here have switched to the glue.