Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I Played, Then I Paid! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-played-then-i-paid-t239037.html)

tessagin 01-17-2014 10:50 AM

I Played, Then I Paid!

An estate sale for a designer was postponed until today. I thought Ok lots of fabric. I knew there was a sewing machine for sale but figured it was outrageously priced and would be gone when I got there. The sale began at 7:00 a.m. I didn't get there until almost 9:30 a.m. Just wandered around and saw a lot of people I knew and stuff. Then I walked into the designer's sewing room. A Singer 401A Slant-O-Matic in a cabinet. $200.00. I always carry a Layer Cake in my purse just in case. The sale mgr said to go ahead and work it. I had never worked a 401 before. It came with all attachments and bobbins. Another gal gave me some tips and I played then I paid. I got it for $150.00. The sale mgr is going to deliver it to me after the sale since she lives in the area as I do. This cabinet is in great shape and the machine looks brand new. I've been re-organizing my sewing room some what to make room for my new baby. Will post (try to) after it's been set up. I really thought the machine would have been sold by the time I got there but it was just waiting for me. I am ecstatic. It probably is more machine than I need but for the price and the cabinet. Have not looked at all the feet but there's a lot. Again will try to post photos later. I also have to take back what I said about sewing machine deals down here. I found one. Yayyyyyyyyyy meeeee!

Dina 01-17-2014 10:53 AM

Well, what fun! I'd say you did good. It sounds like it really was waiting for you.

Dina

GailG 01-17-2014 10:58 AM

Way to go, Girlfriend! Those 400 machines are awesome. I have the straight stitching 404. It still makes a beautiful stitch. Mine was bought in 1962.

P.S. What a great idea to travel with fabric in your bag!:thumbup:

GrammaNan 01-17-2014 11:25 AM

Congratulations!

michelleoc 01-17-2014 01:45 PM

What an exciting find!

happyquiltmom 01-17-2014 01:58 PM

Good for you! You're gonna love it! I use mine all the time.

Jo M 01-17-2014 02:06 PM

Great score! Made me laugh to think of a non-quilting reading that you "always carry a Layer Cake in my purse just in case..." Good idea though.

quilt addict 01-17-2014 02:14 PM

Great for you. Did you buy anything else? When ever I am going to sales or garage sales, I have a little kit in my bag with fabric, thread and a sewing machine needle. You never know when a machine will call to you. And maybe if it is not sewing well, you can get them to discount the price.

luvTooQuilt 01-17-2014 02:17 PM

Congrats !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

aronel 01-17-2014 03:04 PM

Congratulations!! You are going to love this machine! I have one and after cleaning it up and oiling it, I fell in LOVE with it! I put my expensive Viking away and will probably never use it again. It does everything I ask it to do and powers through all thickness of fabric.