Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I really need to rip this, right? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-really-need-rip-right-t299312.html)

Stitchnripper 09-04-2018 04:06 AM

If it were my quilt I would leave it because I wash all of mine and that will become part of the crinkly look I like - but- since you asked the question my guess is that you won’t be satisfied with it so go with your gut and rip it out if that will make you like it more!

SusieQOH 09-04-2018 05:34 AM

That happened to one of mine and it bothered me at first but now after several washings, usage etc it's just fine!

Tartan 09-04-2018 05:40 AM

​Is it going to drive you crazy? If so pick it out and instead of straight line quilting, do a meander or loop de loop design in that area. Straight line quilting that meets another line always are a problem area for me.

bearisgray 09-04-2018 05:43 AM

did you change the stitching direction every other line?
i think that may be what has caused the "pulling" in both directions.

bkay 09-04-2018 06:11 AM

I just finished quilting one with the same problem. I'm not sure why/how it happened. I'm not that experienced at quilting, but it has not happened on the few quilts I have quilted previously on my domestic sewing machine with a walking foot.

Sometimes, I don't think you can fix it. If you spray basted it, it's only going get worse if you try to reposition it now. I think, but am not sure, that all that sewing, resewing, positioning and repositioning can stretch your fabric and result in more "puffiness" somewhere else. So, you just end up moving the "puffiness" around.

You will have to decide how important it is to you. I might measure the area that is "puffy" and compare it to the same block in an quilted and unquilted area. If it's the same, I'd leave it. If it is smaller, I might re-do it, as it's going to pull other areas out of line. Your ruler will tell you how much it's off.

On this one, I'm just going to wash it before it's gifted. Hopefully, that will help. If not, I'll keep it for myself, as it's still a pretty quilt.

bkay

Second thought: Try taking out every other row.

Mitty 09-04-2018 06:45 AM

I was also thinking it wouldn't be very noticeable after a washing. If it were me, I would finish up the quilt (including the binding) and put it through the wash and see how it looks and how I felt about it. It seems to me it could be redone at that point as easily as now, so you might as well wait and see.

Cheshirepat 09-04-2018 08:27 AM

I should have elaborated! This is using Warm and Natural batting (fairly thin). I did use a walking foot...this is the underside of the worrisome section. The rest didn't turn out too bad, I even got around doing the friendship star points fairly well, it's just this puckers so in this section. I did baste, both spray and pins...I thought I had basted enough. Maybe not!

This is really just a throw size quilt for myself, or if someone sees it and likes it they can have it. It's really just for me to get going again, to get some momentum after a really dry spell for creativity and sewing on my machine. It will definitely be washed.

I don't have any kind of extended table on it...it's just a domestic Janome DC 1050. I'm wondering if the $40 extension table would be worth the purchase?

Thanks so much for the replies!

Cheshirepat 09-04-2018 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by maminstl (Post 8120967)
I think it is fine and would definitely leave it. As others have said it won't matter once the quilt has been washed. Looking at your photo, I think that you might try lengthening your stitch next time. I go from 3 to 3.5 on straight line quilting (2 for piecing) on my machine.

Yeah, I only noticed much later how tiny the 2.8 stitches look! :) I will definitely up the size next time.

Cheshirepat 09-04-2018 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by bkay (Post 8121036)
Sometimes, I don't think you can fix it. If you spray basted it, it's only going get worse if you try to reposition it now.

bkay

Second thought: Try taking out every other row.

I like your second thought! That may be just what I do. It will de-intensify the issue. Since this was spray basted, I'll try to leave it somewhat alone.

Cheshirepat 09-04-2018 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 8121024)
did you change the stitching direction every other line?
i think that may be what has caused the "pulling" in both directions.

Yes, I did - I thought it was 'recommended' to change directions when quilting? Also, I'm not sure how I would get around doing that with a walking foot on. Just do one line down, then stop, cut the thread and start over on the next?