Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I ripped the fabric! I am about to cry!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-ripped-fabric-i-am-about-cry-t172466.html)

faykilgore 12-20-2011 06:53 AM

I've used fusible interfacing behind tears, then stitched across the tear. I feel your pain. This only seems to happen when you have no more of the fabric you've damaged.

skate 12-20-2011 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok (Post 4792966)
ouch...good luck..I would try using a fusible behind that tear with some dark fabric..then hope the quilting will camoflouge it enough!

This is just what I would do, also. I hope you get the result you hope for!

fmhall2 12-20-2011 07:38 AM

It is going to make a gorgeous quilt. I feel you will be able to camouflage it and make it work. Good luck.

#1piecemaker 12-20-2011 07:39 AM

Welcome to the ripper club! I don't know how many times this has happened to me. You'll figure something out. Fusible works pretty good and more applique over the hole sounds off and maybe even some fancy stitching. good luck!

cassie69emt 12-20-2011 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by dublb (Post 4792986)
Can you add some appliqued curved lines to make the star look like it is falling or streaking across the quilt?

I think this is a great idea,I would however stabilize the rip maybe put some fray check on it before adding anything and try to stitch it closed so it is not going to ravel or get any bigger.

gypsylady5 12-20-2011 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by rubia (Post 4792793)
OMG. The seam ripper got away from me and tore the background fabric!!!

I'm using a blanket stitch to applique this star onto the background fabric. Something went wonky and I had to rip out a couple inches.

What am I going to do?? I don't have any more fabric. I'm almost done with the applique. I planned on doing an outline of the star for the quilting. Do you think I could adhere the top to the batting with batting spray and stitch it and it will be okay? I'm so sick over this!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...1218112017.jpg

I would take tiny little stitches and mend the rip with matching thread. When you are done, it shouldn't be noticible. Don't spray it - that will leave it stiff. Just mend your boo-boo and finish you applique.

marktikolo 12-20-2011 10:47 AM

Because of some problem I also cut some of the dark camouflage fabric, and coated with a spray, attach it to the back of the quilt and fabric held in place, because I finished blanket stitching around the star. He had some patches, I might be able to use, if they do not look odd. Otherwise, I will quilt in place, and hope for the best. I can not believe I let that happen.

CAS49OR 12-20-2011 12:00 PM

I ran into the same problem and asked for advice on this board. Someone suggested Stitch Witchery. It's fusible tape. I folded what was left of the fabric under, and ironed it on. I think (hope) it will hold after the quilting.

Originally Posted by toadmomma (Post 4793576)
I was watching a video of a pro quilter who won alot of awards internationally, she was from England, and she said that when that happens just put fusable web under neath the tear fuse it in place
and when you quilt it insure you quilt over it and no one will notice. She said once done and quilted it was not noticable, even by the judges.
Good luck

CAS49OR 12-20-2011 12:11 PM

I think it will work! So sorry you had to go through this. It always seems to happen when there is no more fabric.

Originally Posted by marktikolo (Post 4797518)
Because of some problem I also cut some of the dark camouflage fabric, and coated with a spray, attach it to the back of the quilt and fabric held in place, because I finished blanket stitching around the star. He had some patches, I might be able to use, if they do not look odd. Otherwise, I will quilt in place, and hope for the best. I can not believe I let that happen.

SEW 12-20-2011 12:47 PM

I mended a tear in a dark blue fabric once by carefully bringing the edges together with fusible mending tape. There was still a noticeable line in the fabric where the 2 edges met, so I took a dark blue magic marker and carefully dabbed at the the mended site and the tear completely disappeared!!!

Sounds like you came up with a good plan! Let us know how it works out.