Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I searched for an answer, not sure I got one?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-searched-answer-not-sure-i-got-one-t26110.html)

harrishwhippets 09-27-2009 08:52 AM

I'm a newbie to posting, but not really for finding answers to most of my questions from you all. I did search for this but not sure I got the answer I'm looking for. So here goes!
I bought some fleece from hobby lobby for my grandsons quilt back, now I'm afraid to use it, cause it may pill. Have had a lot of bad luck with about 6 yards of Joann's flannel which is pilling badly and am going to use it for batting at this point.
My question is can I use the fleece for batting? It's chocolate brown, and I have 3 yards. I saw a post that it was hard to quilt when used as batting. Was this by hand or machine? I only machine quilt and I'm going to spend more money and buy anti-pill fleece for his quilt from Hancock, which is now on sale. Any one use this yet? Your help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Esqmommy 09-27-2009 08:54 AM

I've never used fleece for batting, so can't help you! Why don't you try a small sample and see how it comes out?

harrishwhippets 09-27-2009 09:05 AM

Don't know why I didn't think of that, I usually try something first, but I guess I'm just frustrated with this flannel. I have 3 front's done and can't get one finished because of pilled flannel. Thanks! Going to try it now.

STAR 09-27-2009 09:44 AM

I was wanting to do this with some lap quilts, so what is pilling?

joeyoz 09-27-2009 10:12 AM

I would say that machine quilting you should be just fine. I think it is the hand quilting that they had difficulty with. Great idea to use as batting, by the way.

Happy quilting. :D :D :D

Tink's Mom 09-27-2009 10:28 AM

I just used it in a dog quilt for Tinkerbelle... I had a color that wasn't what I wanted and made it work....I don't know if it would work in a closely quilted piece, but it worked fine with her quilt...

harrishwhippets 09-27-2009 10:29 AM

It worked! I didn't try stippling yet, but it machined quilted just like Dream Poly, which I use in a lot of table cloth and wall quilts.
Now I'm shifting gears and put the kids quilts away since I have to buy no-pill fleece or better flannel. I have started a bento box in browns a while ago and now I'm going to finish this and use the chocolate fleece for batting. If I don't like it when I finish it will go to one of the homeless guys who live in their cars at our walmart. At Christmas I take my scrap quilts and give them out to those guys.
By the way I glue basted the sample, and it worked just fine.

ScrapQuilter 09-27-2009 10:41 AM

Yes you can use the fleece for batting.......... I like it even better and it makes a warmer quilt.
Scrap Quilter

Shemjo 09-27-2009 03:53 PM

I really get so much useful information on this board! :lol:

Ninnie 09-27-2009 04:03 PM

I would have never thought to use it for filling Thanks!