Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I see gorgeous sewing rooms... then there's mine.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-see-gorgeous-sewing-rooms-then-theres-mine-t128388.html)

Yarn or Fabric 06-06-2011 03:34 AM

I have to say that I keep seeing some amazing pictures of sewing rooms - big, spacious, organized, decluttered... You can see the floor and can physically get to the closet without needing mountain climbing gadgets...

Then there's mine.......
My room is 11' squared pretty much - and it is overflowing and unmanageable for the most part. It has more big furniture in there than it is suppose to have and is set up like a maze just so you can get to the closet.

I have cleaned partially then gone in there, searching for something and then get it all destroyed again. Yes, I know... I need to clean it COMPLETELY and then keep up with it. That has been my problem... not getting it completely cleaned. This summer, once I get caught up on everything, I need to get in there for a few days and get it done.....

I can't be the only one... can I?
I'm not sure if I am brave enough to post pictures of it. It doesn't have heaping piles in there, okay, maybe one but that's because I was actually piecing yesterday and pushed a bunch of material in to a pile. That was my fault completely. I'll fix that today - I swear it :D

lindyline 06-06-2011 03:44 AM

No, you're not the only one, but if anyone else asks,I'm denying it.

sweetpea 06-06-2011 03:50 AM

Good luck with the "fix" it today. I would say that you are the only one with this problem. but we all know that is not so. I know my room will make your look like some show room. I to have been working on getting my in better shape but it is not gone as well as I would like [to much stuff,no place for it.] so now what do I do.OOOO wish for lots of money and a build for my all my stuff. owell I will keep wishing for money and space. GOOD LUCK

Plumtree 06-06-2011 03:55 AM

Be brave post a picture of your room. Maybe someone will have a brilliant idea for you.

frauhahn 06-06-2011 03:59 AM

This is the reason that I don't have one-if I sew in the livingroom or diningroom, I know that I have to clean up because someone might show up to visit. While I admire so many that I see here, I know that a room dedicated to sewing would be a disaster for me!!

DebsShelties 06-06-2011 04:03 AM

Maybe one way of cleaning the room would be to remove everything but the large furniture, put the removed stuff into a room you are not using. Before taking it back, go thru it and decide does it really need to go back.
Make a place to fold fabric - cutting table and take a few pieces in at a time, fold and put them away before bringing in any more.
I put the books back into the room first after the big removal. Then the fabric and put it away.

justflyingin 06-06-2011 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by Yarn or Fabric
I have to say that I keep seeing some amazing pictures of sewing rooms - big, spacious, organized, decluttered... You can see the floor and can physically get to the closet without needing mountain climbing gadgets...

Then there's mine.......
My room is 11' squared pretty much - and it is overflowing and unmanageable for the most part. It has more big furniture in there than it is suppose to have and is set up like a maze just so you can get to the closet.

I have cleaned partially then gone in there, searching for something and then get it all destroyed again. Yes, I know... I need to clean it COMPLETELY and then keep up with it. That has been my problem... not getting it completely cleaned. This summer, once I get caught up on everything, I need to get in there for a few days and get it done.....

I can't be the only one... can I?
I'm not sure if I am brave enough to post pictures of it. It doesn't have heaping piles in there, okay, maybe one but that's because I was actually piecing yesterday and pushed a bunch of material in to a pile. That was my fault completely. I'll fix that today - I swear it :D

Haha. I'm working on my room--and thought of pictures, etc. No way. Total reorganization, or maybe just partial as I want to get back to sewing...

But had the kids help me bring up two cabinets that have shelves in them for help in organization. I think I'm getting rid of some things from the room as well (probably not mostly fabric, though) and will probably find a new place for patterns as I just don't have enough room. I was hoping to find enough room to set up my older Pfaff machine so I could have both set up at the same time. Not sure if the room is big enough,though...

You aren't the only one...rest assured.

waladopa 06-06-2011 04:09 AM

If you're like me you don't have a place to put fabric and other necessary things therefore they have to go into a pile.
I am getting cabinets, hopefuly this afternoon.
I will post a picture if you will.

eastermarie 06-06-2011 04:10 AM

You are not alone. Mine gets out of wack when I totally into the creative end of the process. When the unit is complete, I like to put away those materials, clean of the work tables, and then pull out everything need for the next project.

grendelskin 06-06-2011 04:12 AM

You're not alone! I try to maintain a clear path from the door to my computer and the cutting board and iron, but the rest...well, sometimes the path is not so easy to find!

I think frau is right: try to find space to move everything you can, out of the room; then you can put it back in something like a sensible arrangement. Just need to find time between projects to do it!