Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I Spy Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-spy-quilt-t50879.html)

NCquilter 06-22-2010 03:24 PM

I want to make an I Spy quilt but I'm not sure where to begin. I've seen some online. I don't want to make it look too busy, but should it be since it is an "I Spy" quilt?

I am not sure if all my blocks should be I Spy type or if I should separate the blocks with sashing or adding solid blocks. Help! Please shoot some ideas my way. Thanks!

-Kelly

brookemarie19 06-22-2010 03:38 PM

Do a search on hear for the disapearing 9 patch. There is an awesome I spy quilt made with this pattern and I love it! Hope this helps.

NCquilter 06-22-2010 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by brookemarie19
Do a search on hear for the disapearing 9 patch. There is an awesome I spy quilt made with this pattern and I love it! Hope this helps.

I googled it. I do like the way that one looks! I might try that one, thanks!

Honchey 06-22-2010 03:48 PM

I must really be out of the loop--I have seen them--wouldn't know what to use to make them-I now have 2 grandchildren that I think would have fun with them--What actually is an 'I spy' quilt.

sharon b 06-22-2010 03:48 PM

You can make the I spy anyway you want :lol: But typically is does look busy because of all the different blocks. I have seen them with like a window frame around them , makes them less busy :lol:

burnsk 06-22-2010 04:49 PM

I'm working on an I Spy, making it in a Disappearing-Nine-Patch pattern. The "Spy" fabric is the four corners, the center block is red, the four inside squares are yellow. When I finish this one, the next one will have a blue center and the four inside blocks will be green. It's working up really nice and the blocks don't look too busy. Not sure if I'm going to sash or not.

Evelyn 06-22-2010 05:28 PM

I make several different types for Project Linus.
1. Using 6 1/2" squares- set 6 x 7 + 4" borders.
That uses up 42 different novelty prints.
2. "Can you Match"? uses 49 sets of 2 + 1 odd block all cut 4 1/2" - set 9 x 11 + 4" border
Kids really enjoy finding the matching pairs of blocks and the one odd one.
3. Window pane- uses 63 different prints cut 4 1/2" set 7 x 9.

I've done a few with hexagons- but that is quite time consuming.
Evelyn in NJ

It is a lot of fun collecting various fabrics for these.

amma 06-23-2010 08:04 AM

The busier the better for the actual I Spy game... but making them "prettier" is nice too :D:D:D

I love the matching game idea!!! :D:D:D

Butterflyblue 06-23-2010 08:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I used something like the disappearing 9-patch (the website I found it on called it something else, but I'm pretty sure it was a D9P) for an eye spy and it looks really nice. I didn't want the busy-ness of all those prints right next to each other.

Only the corner blocks of the nine patches were the novelty fabrics, the center was a bright orange, and the other 4 were tone-on-tones and solids in various colors.

Pam Pollock 06-23-2010 08:45 AM

I love Bonnie's I Spy quilt on Quiltville.com. I've made several of them & they were always well received. They may look busy but they are easy to make & beautiful I think.