Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   "I Spy" quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-spy-quilts-t227020.html)

MrsWiggs 08-03-2013 02:49 PM

I recently made an "I spy" baby quilt patterned after the jelly roll 1600 quilt. But I cut my own strips 3 1/2" wide WOF, then cut the WOF in 1/2. I used children's prints & primary color strips also. It turned out very cute & colorful. It was quick because I didn't have to fussy cut the 5 " squares.

Susan Sendt 08-03-2013 05:20 PM

Dumb Question.......what does WOF mean?

grann of 6 08-03-2013 05:28 PM

Width Of Fabric

captlynhall 08-03-2013 05:37 PM

I bought a bunch at Houston Quilt Festival. Also, check out Missouri Star Quilt co. on YouTube. Jenny Doan was showing how to do a quilt where the blocks looked like jars. She mentioned one of the fabric companies had put together a large variety pak of their novelty fabrics and it would work great for an Eye-Spy.

Susan Sendt 08-03-2013 05:48 PM

I have purchased several charm packs from etsy shops for an I Spy quilt. I was collecting 1/2 yard and 1 yard pieces for the past 2 years and wondered how I would EVER have enough to make a nice quilt. Well, now I am ADDICTED!!! I am a member of 6 swap groups for I Spy quilts. Seeing as I have 9 grandchildren, my first thought was to make 1 special I Spy quilt and keep at my house for play and naps. Well, that plan has changed! I now am planning on making 9 of these and I only hope and pray that I can find enough fabric to complete this quest! If anyone has any scraps that could be used in this type of quilt, please PM me if you are interested in helping expand my collection. Thanks!

Susan Sendt 08-03-2013 05:48 PM

Thanks grann of 6!

Susan Sendt 08-03-2013 05:52 PM

My sister has suggested that I take my I Spy quilt a step further. I think I might try her suggestion. I plan to scan each fabric to get a picture of the item to find. Then, after cropping as necessary, I will laminate the pictures and clip them together on a large ring. By attaching this to corner, it will help those who can't read to find the hidden items. What do you think?

Everose 08-03-2013 07:52 PM

I made a I SPY quilt out of all animal fabrics. Most I had in stash, but some I asked for from friends. I ordered the 5" tumbler from Missouri Star and used it to cut the fabric or charms. Turned out great. Gifting to Ronald McDonald House. Planning on doing another one using the same theme. Good Luck, you will love doing them.

frizzymama13 08-11-2013 09:02 AM

There are ispy swaps here on QB; I believe the next one is in september some time. You can also google ” I spy fabric swap” to find other swaps going on! ;-)

jlherget 08-11-2013 10:13 AM

I have made several I Spy Quilts. Some stores will let you buy quarter yards of material. I bought a lot of those. Also if you can get a group of quilters together that all want to make I Spy Quilts you can have everyone bring pieces of fabric that will work on an I Spy Quilt and share with each other. I have had different themes such as Transportation, Animals, Farms or a mixture of all these.