Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I stumbled upon something very cool (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-stumbled-upon-something-very-cool-t211105.html)

Dragonomine 01-16-2013 07:12 AM

I stumbled upon something very cool

You guys probably know but it's news to me! I was making my sister a baby blanket (she's due to pop any time now!) and had the stencil I wanted to use for the quilt pattern. In the past I've used the markers from Joann's or chalk but I didn't have any. Besides that the markers and pencils aren't really ideal imo, and chalk... well, it's chalk.

So I'm looking around wondering what I can use without running to the fabric store and I come across my kid's old Crayola washable markers. Big pack, multi-colored and nice tip. I try it and keep my fingers crossed hoping I'm not ruining the quilt.

I finish up and cross my fingers as I put it in the wash and it all came out! It was perfect! I can't believe I hadn't heard of this before or thought of it myself! What do you all use?

joyce888 01-16-2013 07:18 AM

Don't know if it has been mentioned before but it's a great tip and worth mentioning again.

QuiltnNan 01-16-2013 07:35 AM

thanks for sharing your experience

SharonTheriault 01-16-2013 07:40 AM

I, too, love the Crayola washable markers for marking fabric. I once left a project, marked for over 6 months, then finished and washed it. All the markings came out in the wash. They are terrific... and they come in different colors for good marking on different fabrics.

Buckeye Rose 01-16-2013 07:45 AM

I use them all the time....Love em! I even accidentally ironed (with steam) a quilt marked with markers once and it still washed clean!

GrannieAnnie 01-16-2013 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by Dragonomine (Post 5790064)
You guys probably know but it's news to me! I was making my sister a baby blanket (she's due to pop any time now!) and had the stencil I wanted to use for the quilt pattern. In the past I've used the markers from Joann's or chalk but I didn't have any. Besides that the markers and pencils aren't really ideal imo, and chalk... well, it's chalk.

So I'm looking around wondering what I can use without running to the fabric store and I come across my kid's old Crayola washable markers. Big pack, multi-colored and nice tip. I try it and keep my fingers crossed hoping I'm not ruining the quilt.

I finish up and cross my fingers as I put it in the wash and it all came out! It was perfect! I can't believe I hadn't heard of this before or thought of it myself! What do you all use?

Most of the colors was out quite well, but in my experience YELLOW won't wash out. Seems strange, since it's the lightest color, but it's NOT come out for me.

janedee 01-16-2013 07:50 AM

Yes they work good I also use artists watercolour pencils but I always check before each project that the colour I am using will wash out - just in case!!

mighty 01-16-2013 07:50 AM

Wow, I had not heard that before, thanks for the tip!!!

quiltsRfun 01-16-2013 05:24 PM

I use them too. But don't leave the markings too long before washing. Ask me how I know.

yellowwroses 01-16-2013 05:30 PM

new to me can't wait to try. thank you
judy