Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I think I am a "Blanket maker" (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-think-i-am-%22blanket-maker%22-t43613.html)

cminor 04-23-2010 04:58 AM

I am almost done with my first quilt. But as I stitch in the ditch, I see how my measurements are a little off, my basting (is that the right term? Or am I just thinking turkeys?) is not very good at all, and of course my flannal back does not line up the way I wanted.

The back I can deal with as lesson learned. The top is much better than the other tops I have started and never finished. The thing that gets me is that even though I pined the layers together, they are not very flat at all once I quilt it.

But when I look at it - almost finished and only the binding needing to be done, I realize that I kind of like it that way. I want my "quilts" to be comfy and useable. I don't want to spend so much time working on it trying to make it perfect that I end up not wanting to actually use it in fear of ruining it. I want my quilts to be used by my whole family, including my dogs and cats.

Is that crazy? I think the fact that it is not completly flat makes it a little more coushey. If I am a blanket maker . . .can I still play with all you quilters? :)

Pictures to come this weekend. It is very traditional in the front made with aquired FQ's and some misc fabric I had. The back is more like a party. Kind of like a mullet! Business in the front, party in the back!

thimblebug6000 04-23-2010 05:32 AM

looking forward to the pictures, and I LOVE cuddly quilts too.

Boston1954 04-23-2010 05:35 AM

No one is going to tell you that it didn't turn out right but yourself. If you are happy with it, then it is just fine.

renee765 04-23-2010 05:37 AM

I'm with you! I have never made a perfect quilt, and never will. But my little quirks in each quilt are what makes them mine.

erstan947 04-23-2010 05:42 AM

I find I like my quilts after it is washed. A lot of the inperfections are not noticed at all.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 04-23-2010 06:36 AM

LOL @ the mullet quilt!! It's nice to have a little suprise on the back. Remember, no one will see the mistakes as much as you do.

sharon b 04-23-2010 06:41 AM

Of course you can still play with us LOL There are no quilt police here :wink: If there was I would have been given the boot years ago :shock: LOL I don't make perfect quilts either, I would rather they be used then just looked at :thumbup:

Ditter43 04-23-2010 07:05 AM

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Ditter

amma 04-23-2010 10:01 AM

I would just focus on the fact that this quilt will be well used and loved for many years to come!!! :D:D:D

MamaNan 04-23-2010 10:47 AM

The important thing to me is to enjoy the process. I want my quilts to be loved and used. I'd rather see one being used for sunbathing than hanging on a wall with a ribbon. I have friends who enjoy the acclaims and awards and that is great if that is what they want, but I was never in a beauty contest and my quilts won't be either.