Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I think I have "cold feet" (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-think-i-have-%22cold-feet%22-t113307.html)

CindyinNY 04-03-2011 06:54 PM

I'm fairly new at quilting as some of you may know. I've only made a table runner, set of placemats and a baby rag quilt. I have a few projects that I want to make but keep putting them off.
I think I'm afraid of failing and ruin fabric. Is this a normal newbie thing???

bluteddi 04-03-2011 06:57 PM

yes

stpatmom 04-03-2011 06:59 PM

no way! it pretty much is a forever thing! ha ha ha!!! I always put things off that I think I will not have an easy time with and i've been at it for over ten years! just jump in and start, you'll find your footing and then wonder why you ever put it off. good luck!

broomstix 04-03-2011 07:00 PM

one block at a time. just keep sewing. i still get butterflies when start new project. I have made three quilts this year already. working on another.

Dina 04-03-2011 07:00 PM

Yes, I am just a bit older than a newbie, quilting for about a year and a half, and I always just know I wont like a quilt that I have planned. I am just finishing one this evening, in time for "Show and Tell" at the guild meeting tomorrow night, and I am not sure I will take it. My quilts just always look so different than anyone else's.

But, you know what...I have finally decided that if I fail, so what? I'll just make another quilt...

QuiltingGrannie 04-03-2011 07:00 PM

I've been quilting for 2 years and still get a bit of cold feet when I first approach fabric to cut it into the pieces.
I'd say it's normal. But, don't be afraid of tackling those projects. Remember there are no quilt police, and we all learn from our mistakes which are otherwise known as our creativity!

Go for it. If you have questions as you go just ask here on the board. No matter what someone else here has already "been there/done that".

Happy Quilting!

irishrose 04-03-2011 07:02 PM

I feel that way about machine quilting. We both need to just do it!

Cut carefully, sew a careful seam and ask any questions her and you'll be fine. I would think a nice lap size quilt would be next.

suebee 04-03-2011 07:04 PM

Yes ma'am... we have all been there. Just got to dive in. Dont be afraid though. If you havent taken any classes I would suggest taking a couple, you wont be sorry :) you'll always learn something. Good luck!

erstan947 04-03-2011 07:04 PM

What I did is take some scrap fabric and made up a couple of blocks that I was interested in making. Work them up then work on the good fabric with confidence, "I Can Do This". I learn by doing. Its normal to fear the first cuts....It's only fabric and it's not brain surgery:) Relax and enjoy!:):):)

earthwalker 04-03-2011 07:05 PM

Just hop in and do it....once you start your confidence will build and you always can come here for advice and a bit of a boost. Too many of us can become static through indecision/procrastination. There's nothing like the feeling of a finished quilt...simple or complex, arty or utility..Happy quilting!