Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I think I have worn out my machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-think-i-have-worn-out-my-machine-t239157.html)

FURBALLS 01-18-2014 10:27 PM

I think I have worn out my machine

I have a Singer Confidence 7469 machine. Granted it is not a high end machine, but it really does the job and was in my budget. I've had it for about 4 yrs. now and have made many quilts, fabric boxes, and wall hangings on it. I do all my FMQ on it also. Well, I'm sewing along on another quilt and all of a sudden the thing starts to make a noise and sort of tries to seize up.:( The hand wheel is very hard to turn. I clean it regularly. I don't know if I should take it to a repair shop, the closest one is 78 miles from me, or just chuck it. This machine does not get oiled etc. as it said in the manual. Usually can fix most of my machines, vintage, myself but I took out all the screws and the thing still will not open up. Wanted to see if anything was amiss inside by the wheel. Has anyone out there have one of these machines and had this problem?

Nammie to 7 01-19-2014 01:23 AM

Sorry I can't help you out. My machines go in for a service every couple of years and are oiled religiously. If you take it to your dealer they can tell you if the machine can be fixed or not. They should also be able to give you an estimate on the cost of fixing.

Greeter Eva 01-19-2014 03:20 AM

I had a Kenmore that siezed up on me. I just gave it a good cleaning & oiling. Then I just took it easy to get it going again. After that it worked perfect. I know the computorized machines are not to be oiled , but all machines need a drop of oil in the bobbin case every so often. Thats what I was told about my Janome Horrizon.

Tartan 01-19-2014 05:38 AM

I wore out a cheap Singer a few years ago. A plastic part broke and it was more to repair it than it cost. A simple service visit will probably from $50 to $100 . You will have to decide if the dollars would be better spent on a new machine or not.

mighty 01-19-2014 07:49 AM

Tartan is right it is up to you if you want to invest the money to fix it, or just put that money in on the purchase of a new machine.

willferg 01-19-2014 08:28 AM

Maybe check in the vintage machines section. There are a lot of members who are adept at working on their machines. Seems like someone should have an idea on how to get it working again. You have nothing to lose by working on it...

ManiacQuilter2 01-19-2014 09:00 AM

You may just have accumulated a bunch of dust bunnies inside your sewing machine. This happen to me with my Bernina. All I ended up paying for was basic service. Take it in at least have it service. Call ahead and see if you can get a time slot to come in and drop it off and pick it up later in the afternoon. Plan your day around that schedule. Good Luck !!

Onebyone 01-19-2014 09:03 AM

Did you know if you take a no oil needed in for maint. the repairman oils it , usually with special oil? It does need oil just doesn't have the oil holes. You have to take off the housing. The gears are embedded with silicone and that is why no oil is needed for the gears. The silicone will eventually dry up. If you have a high dollar no oil machine better get it serviced at least once every year if it has heavy use.

FURBALLS 01-19-2014 09:40 AM

Happy dance for me. I always oil my machines, but this one said to only oil the bobbin area. Well, the only part I am able to get off is the plastic part over the needle area. I peeked inside with flashlite and figured what the heck, put a couple of drops of oil on the parts that I always oil in the vintage machines. A little harder to get to as can't take apart the whole housing, but I had bought one of those needle point oilers from Clotilde and low and behold, we are back in business. Only tried this because I knew that the repair/maint shop would probably do the same and figured if it did not work I wasn't out anything anyway. Happy Happy Me today. :D Thanks for all your input.

luvTooQuilt 01-19-2014 11:24 AM

if its a love machine id go in and get it services and at least checked out.. they will ler ya know if you need to toss it or not..