Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I think I made a big mistake (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-think-i-made-big-mistake-t282681.html)

Notwendy 10-03-2016 08:06 AM

My husband can barely stay awake when I start talking about fabric, machines, etc. Which is probably for the best - I am the type that says "Do it however you want. No, not that way!". Not my best characteristic, though I'm getting better at it. : )

I would like to get my dad and little sister to start quilting. Both are very artistic and it is something they could do together. He hasn't painted since my mom passed earlier this year. Maybe a change of medium would help. I'd like to work on a pixel quilt of his favorite photo of mom. The three of us could work on different parts of the same project.

mac 10-03-2016 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by Jingle (Post 7667175)
My Husband has joked about learning to sew. I don't take him serious, he is not careful enough for me. We plan to retire at years end, he will have to entertain himself. After working together for almost 30 years he can do something by himself.

Oh, no! My mother gave me the best advice when she said that make sure your husband has a hobby BEFORE he retires. She said that when my father retired he followed her around like a little puppy commenting on everything she did and made her life difficult. Suddenly all of the things that she did for 50 years, she was doing wrong.

letawellman 10-03-2016 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Pagzz (Post 7667073)
I think that is fun. But if you only have one machine you definitely need a second.

On a second note, I am happy to read this post because I just had a conversation with some family members and it was obvious they think I should move on from quilting.....?? I came away sad that people I care about just don't understand me.

My sisters-in-law all give me that "why would you do that?!?" look when I talk about quilting. But then again, NONE of them have ANY hobbies... unless you call "window shopping" and "going out to eat" hobbies.
Don't worry about those that don't understand - I know that quilting is the biggest de-stresser I have. It keeps me sane, gives me that artistic, creative outlet I have to have, and I end up with beautiful quilts to use or gift.

letawellman 10-03-2016 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by AngelaS (Post 7666981)
I taught my husband to quilt. He's working on a hunter's star.

The problem? He's hogging my machine!!

the good news? He likes to upgrade stuff and thinks I need a true long arm...... Stay tuned.....lol

Congratulations on the fact that he is enjoying your hobby... and is now willing to not only participate, but help better your situation with machines and what-not.

My hubby used to sew before we met/married. He's very mechanically minded (he's a machinist by trade), and I expect when he retires, he's probably going to start investigating my longarm. He actually almost started to buy me a new Brother sewing/embroidery machine a few months ago - but I talked him out of it, because once he retires, I would be the one making the payments.
But he's got plenty to keep him occupied with the farm, so hopefully he'll spend his time on the tractors and such.

Quiltingfragments 10-03-2016 08:44 AM

This great community!

Originally Posted by AngelaS (Post 7666981)
I taught my husband to quilt. He's working on a hunter's star.

The problem? He's hogging my machine!!

the good news? He likes to upgrade stuff and thinks I need a true long arm...... Stay tuned.....lol

I too have been touched by the gratitude of someone on this board. A beautiful soul sent me a gift, free of charge, and sent along extra things in the box for me to use. This board is so special and I'm so happy to be a part of the group. I look forward to some day being able to "pay it forward".

letawellman 10-03-2016 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 7667535)
I think it comes down to - do you WANT to be together more - or is quilting one's time to do something by oneself?

Hah!! THAT is my conundrum!!
I always joke that quilting keeps me from murdering him, so perhaps I DON'T want my hubby to participate with me.
However... he HAS been encouraging me to go deer hunting with him, and since we're now hunting the far back acreage, I have been hunting. Before, I wouldn't go, because that meant getting up at 3:30am and driving several hours to sit in the dark and cold. Now I only have to walk about 10 minutes to sit in the dark and the cold. :D

ILoveToQuilt 10-03-2016 08:54 AM

My DH sews so much better than I do! He is one of 7 children (the other 6 are girls) and when Mom taught the girls to sew, she taught my DH as well. He has no interest (at least now), but I have a "go to" person when I get stuck. He is also an engineer, so figuring sizes and yardage, he is great at that.

Time to take your DH shopping for his machine! Hope you get your longarm, too!

dottie dodge 10-03-2016 10:15 AM

Are we related? I have family members who refer to my time quilting as "Mom is hiding out"! Doesn't she ever do anything else? I asked the hubs what was new on ESPN. Anything besides sports. Maybe a crafting show. He didn't think that was funny. Go figure!

gramquilter2 10-03-2016 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Pagzz (Post 7667073)
I think that is fun. But if you only have one machine you definitely need a second.

On a second note, I am happy to read this post because I just had a conversation with some family members and it was obvious they think I should move on from quilting.....?? I came away sad that people I care about just don't understand me.

I hope that you don't let them convince you to give up something you like to do.

joyce blint 10-03-2016 02:10 PM

My aunt was a very good seamstress. She even made wedding dresses. When I mention quilting, she says "That's the dumbest thing I've heard of, cutting pretty fabric apart just to sew it together again. It's like dumping a bucket of dirt on the floor so you can sweep it up!." I always laugh at her and tell her "to each their own."