Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I think I need a new chair..... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-think-i-need-new-chair-t211774.html)

Prissnboot 01-23-2013 09:58 AM

I think I need a new chair.....

I had a sewing machine that sat in its own cabinet - the cabinet is a vintage Hollywood-style Pfaff cabinet, and I love it and don't want to part with it.

The problem is that I've seriously upgraded my old Singer to a Janome Horizon that won't fit in the hole, and my friend isn't around anymore to fix the hole to fit the new machine. So currently I've put a board over the top of the cabinet, and have the machine (which has its own extension table) sitting on top.

Great, except my working space has now been elevated by about 5", so I need a new chair. However, if I get a drafting chair to accommodate the height difference, I will have to figure out how to accommodate the foot pedal since my feet will be lifted off the floor.

Any suggestions?

EasyPeezy 01-23-2013 10:06 AM

Get a table that will fit the machine. Then look for a new chair (if needed).
I have the Janome 6600 with the table and I wouldn't want it any other way.
When you are quilting it's nice to have a wide flat surface.

lakekids 01-23-2013 10:21 AM

You couild put the foot pedal on a box or on a small step stool.

Mom3 01-23-2013 10:41 AM

Both suggestions above should work - but - would it be possible to check with a local high school or technical school or even a boy scout group to see if they could earn extra credit for rehabbing your current cabinet?

lynda53 01-23-2013 12:09 PM

I use a drafting chair & I love it.I have no trouble using the foot pedal and,since using this chair,I have not had any trouble with aching legs from my knees being bent for hours.

BellaBoo 01-23-2013 12:26 PM

I have the counter height dining table and the chairs are taller then regular but not as tall as a bar stool. The height is perfect for slightly higher sewing tables. You can buy just one chair at a furniture store.

Dolphyngyrl 01-23-2013 06:13 PM

Your machine can't sew without the pedal or you just prefer it to the button

Prissnboot 01-24-2013 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl (Post 5808778)
Your machine can't sew without the pedal or you just prefer it to the button

I've only sewn with a foot pedal, never had a button and don't see myself using it.

lisalovesquilting 01-24-2013 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by Prissnboot (Post 5809408)
I've only sewn with a foot pedal, never had a button and don't see myself using it.

Try it. You might like it. I love mine but still use the foot pedal for machine applique.

Shelbie 01-24-2013 05:09 AM

An expensive machine like that deserves its own table or cabinet where there is no danger of it being knocked or pulled over. I have two friends who have had bad "machine accidents" which caused a lot of damage and repair dollars. Pat's Janome 6600 was sent flying by her big boisterous retriever's tail and Joan's Horizon was pulled on the floor when her teen grandson tripped on the cord. I know its extra dollars to invest in a table but you'll be more comfortable sewing and your machine will be safer. Janome does make a table for your machine.