Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I think i "over iron" (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-think-i-over-iron-t178434.html)

pinkberrykay 02-07-2012 05:14 AM

I think i "over iron"

I am working on a twister heart wall hanging for my grammy and I noticed that some of the white fabric has turned a smidge brown. :mad:

I iron and starch before I cut, sew, press the seam, stitch again and press the seam. I don't think this is too much is it?:confused:

I bought a vintage iron and I wonder if it is too hot. I am thinking I will go back to my vintage travel iron for pressing seams.

QuiltE 02-07-2012 06:07 AM

I don't believe you can over iron ... the more/better ironing, at every step of the way ... the better finished project IMHO.

Though if you're starching, the build up of starch can brown the fabric. When that happens, it's usually a sign that I need a new/clean ironing board cover and/or wash the bottom of my iron off well.

GemState 02-07-2012 06:11 AM

If it is an older iron I would be willing to bet that you have scorched your fabric a little. The newer irons don't hardly get hot enough to scorch anything, which isn't the case with older ones....they seemed to get a lot hotter.

auntpiggylpn 02-07-2012 08:05 AM

I was always a firm believer in "the hotter, the better". Then I noticed that some of my fabrics weren't returning to their original colors after cooling off. I noticed this on a bright red fabric and after I ironed it, it was a dull darker red. I have now turned down the heat on my iron and if I have a really stubborn wrinkle or seam and spritzing it with Best Press or water isn't getting it out, I will turn up the heat just to do that part and then immediately turn it back down.

Also, with starching, sizing, Best Press, etc. it is recommended that you allow the spray to soak into the fibers before ironing. Sometimes it will still be on the surface and your iron can burn it.

bearisgray 02-07-2012 12:01 PM

I learned the hard way that "the hotter the better" can mean a nasty scorch on the fabric!

ESPECIALLY with a dry iron!!!

I've also pressed/ironed over enthusiastically and stretched the fabric out of shape - especially when it was soggy with starch or sizing.

I have learned a great deal by doing things bass-ackwards over the years!!

Handcraftsbyjen 02-11-2012 09:05 PM

I make a lot of Twister patterns. I don't starch any part of my process. I do iron every step though.

Charlee 02-11-2012 09:10 PM

Try washing a piece of the scorched fabric....if you starched it heavily, it may be just the starch that's scorched....

Peckish 02-11-2012 09:11 PM

I've starched a Twister quilt, but only because the finished blocks were 1".

earthwalker 02-11-2012 09:13 PM

I'm with Charlee, give that a try, then turn the heat down a notch or two.

nycquilter 02-12-2012 07:12 AM

I wouldn't use the starch. EVery time I do, I find I'm at much greater risk of scorching. and not starching does not affect my accuracy at all.