Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I think my DH wants to quilt with me! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-think-my-dh-wants-quilt-me-t27925.html)

MadQuilter 10-30-2009 12:52 PM

Pat is very interested in my hobby (wish I could reciprocate, but looking at stars is as exciting to me as watching grass grow). He loves to go to the fabric store and LQS with me and he is my color consultant. He has gotten me out of the color rut more than once. I think it can be fabulous when a couple can share a hobby.

I remember reading about another couple on the QB where she makes the tops and he quilts them. Can't recall who they are though. As long as it works - count your blessings.

zennia 10-30-2009 01:19 PM

Let him help. My husband likes going fabric shopping with me and has encouraged me to buy and try things many times. Right now he is making seat covers for his '54 pick up truck. He doesnt mind sewing at all.

Damkina 10-30-2009 01:20 PM

It's wonderful that you can share a hobby.

I wish my hubby would take more of an interest in my quilting... his eyes take on a sort of, glazed look that means he's not really looking and hasn't got a clue when I ask his oppinion.

Then I get the, "Don't I always tell you that you do good work on your quilts?"

I'm wanting to visit a quilt shop in Derbyshire tomorrow, so I'll probably need all your prayers! :wink:

JJs 10-30-2009 03:02 PM

my dh drives me to quilt guild - and guess who had a show and tell a couple meeting ago! HE did.... he did the sewing AND the quilting on the Bailey!

I did the cutting out and pinning for him - after all, he had NO clue about any of it - but he did all the sewing....

littlehud 10-30-2009 05:44 PM

I think it would be great to share you love of quilting with him.

mommaB 10-30-2009 05:57 PM

Next time you're there try Miller's Dry Goods in Charm. Quilting and other fabric. Be sure to go downstairs to the bargain section. I have not been to Spector's, but might be worth a trip!! My best friend and I go for a few days at least once a year. If any of you need a good really clean simple place to stay, try Berlin Village Inn. Very reasonable rates too!!

Deecee 10-30-2009 06:48 PM

I think its great to share a hobby. My hubby knits, cross-stitches and does leadlighting. We have combined on several projects with him adding cross-stitched blocks to wedding memories quilts.

Sandy1951 10-31-2009 07:35 AM

I think it's great so many hubbies are involved in the quilting process in one way or another. I'm a little surprised that so many actually sew, although I don't know why. After all, tailors used to all be men and today many men are prize winning quilters, not to mention the men on this forum. Patternreview.com also has a lot of men who sew and post about their completed projects.

Paul was so happy to take me to Spectors and the other stores. Sometimes he frowns when I buy fabric, but this time he barely blinked. He did make a comment about stockpiling fabric, so I took the opportunity to explain what "stash" means and how important it is. :lol:

I wish Paul could help me with colors. I'm not good at that. It takes me forever to make a decision on which colors to put together, then after I finally decide, I second guess myself forever. I really need to get over that.

Sandy1951 10-31-2009 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by mommaB
Next time you're there try Miller's Dry Goods in Charm. Quilting and other fabric. Be sure to go downstairs to the bargain section. I have not been to Spector's, but might be worth a trip!! My best friend and I go for a few days at least once a year. If any of you need a good really clean simple place to stay, try Berlin Village Inn. Very reasonable rates too!!

Miller's Dry Goods is one of the places Paul mentioned that he wants to take me to. We just didn't have enough time last week. Does Miller's carry Berninas? I know one of the stores has them, but I forget which one. I'd like to talk to them and find out if they ever have used Berninas to sell and. if so, how much they go for.

I'm excited about going back and checking out the other shops. :)

Sandy

Pzazz 10-31-2009 08:08 AM

Sandy...I know what you mean about the colour choosing. If I go on my own it can take me what seems like forever to find the "right" colours. If I take my hubby with, he can have us in and out in no time!!! As long as I tell him basically what I am wanting to do, he has a very quick eye for finding fabrics that blend together beautifully.

Patti