Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I think the quilt police have my name... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-think-quilt-police-have-my-name-t181801.html)

doris.meek13088 03-07-2012 02:41 PM

If we are all going to be alike, can I suggest a size 8 for all of us? Maybe no grey hair would be good too. I love people (some of my best friends are people), I love differences (since I have learned so much over the years from them) and I love that we all have rights to be who we are!! (Mostly old, fat and sassy in my case)

collady 03-07-2012 02:51 PM

It is what you like. It doesn't matter what others think. It is you work. Do it all by machine if that is what you want. I am finishing a quilt right now that I wish I had done all the binding by machine. I just can't seem to get it finished and it is a relatively small quilt.

bunbytes 03-07-2012 03:46 PM

I believe it is your choice alone. Doing it all by machine makes you happy and that should be enough for anyone. I believe you probably are much better at machine stitching the binding than I could ever be. I, on the other hand, adore the hand quilting and hand work on the binding. To me that is my reward for doing all of the other stuff on the quilt. I guess that's why I'm doing a Darcy Ashton bunny quilt for myself. That's 30 bunnies, plus all the veggies on the edges and I hand applique each bunny plus do a blanket stitch around each. Those rascally rabbits are not going to run away! I can only imagine how crazy this would make you and I wouldn't dream of ever insinuating that there is something wrong about that. To each her own. I must admit that I am trying to improve on my FMQ but I fear it will be a very long time before I am anywhere near proficient. I know . . . practice, practice, practice. I'd ignore the snobs. If you wanted to be snark you could always quip that you are in a race to see how many quilts you can complete before you go to that great quilting circle in the sky!

lalaland 03-07-2012 03:54 PM

I do hand embroidery and it doesn't bother me at all but I HATE doing binding by hand with every fiber of my being. I either do what you do and pull the backing fabric to the front and do my bindings that way, or I just sew around the inside of the project, turn it right side out, and "fake" the binding by doing a decorative stitch about 1/2" in from the seam.

laurac 03-07-2012 04:10 PM

i like to do handwork (not piecing by hand) but that's just me. to each his/her own. do what makes you happy. that's why i quilt. because it makes me happy. when it doesn't, then i'll quit or figure out if i've changed what i do because someone said i had to do it differently.
again, do what makes you happy!

Marycumi 03-07-2012 05:03 PM

All of my quilts are made to be enjoyed and machine washed when needed. So I always bind them by machine. I made quilts for the Project Linus, so I want them to last as long as possible. I like the way the binding looks when machine stitched also. I always want to get a quilt finished so I can start another one!

MadQuilter 03-07-2012 05:06 PM

Regardless of whether you like it or not, that vendor certainly isn't very business-savvy.
As for the hand-work, I actually like it. But trust me, I'm a weirdo in different ways. lol

CLMQuilter 03-07-2012 05:25 PM

I don't realy care for hand work but I do crochet, when it comes to quilting I machine quilt.
Carol in Delaware

3TreeFrog 03-07-2012 05:26 PM

I have a horrible tremor in my hands, so ALL my quilting is machine done! So if that makes me a weirdo along with you, then I'm proud to be a weirdo! lol

Louise

smurfsmom 03-07-2012 05:36 PM

Plenty of us weirdos out here. :thumbup: I too do it ALL by machine. I love to crochet. used to cross stitch but the eyes arent so good for following a chart any more :(