Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I think the quilt police have my name... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-think-quilt-police-have-my-name-t181801.html)

GrannieAnnie 03-05-2012 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by MaryLane (Post 5034868)
I am just going to say this up front. I don't like hand sewing and avoid it at all costs. I not only don't like doing it, I am not a real fan of seeing a lot of it.

I do my bindings by machine and love the look. Both of my grandmothers did theirs the same way. Stitch it to the back and roll to the front and top stitch. That is the look I like best. I do sometimes go the other way and stitch in the ditch from the top. It all looks good to me.

At a quilt show last Thursday I was looking at something with my MIL and the vendor commented on how I could use it when I did handwork. I chuckled and said, "I don't do handwork if I can avoid it."

She said, "Except for your bindings, of course."

I said, "No. I do those by machine. I like how they look that way."

My MIL said, "I love to do handwork," but the woman would not talk to us anymore.

Am I the only weirdo out here that doesn't like handwork? People talk about how relaxing it is but it gives me a pain in my shoulders and a headache. I see no point in being physically miserable if I can achieve the results I want with a machine.

I know there are no QP but I think there are some quilt snobs!

If you are a fellow weirdo, you aren't alone!

BTW, I do crochet and that doesn't bother me.

You will not see me doing hand sewing every evening. But once in a while-------like for bindings-------it is relaxing for me.

Another thing I do, is when getting ready do a quilt sandwich (I only do small quilts usually) is that I take the top and the batting, pin the two together within the body of the quilt adn then whip stitch the batting to the top. Then when I'm ready to add the backing, I've got the other two pieces firmly anchored. Relaxing---------and not hard for me.

HOWEVER---------that's what I like to do. What the rest of the world likes to do, is their choice.

Lori S 03-05-2012 08:04 PM

You are not alone in this issue. I have been quilting/sewing for almost 40 years. I hated sewing hems by hand... and in all my years of quilting .. I can count the number of bindings sewn by hand on maybe two hands. Many of my quilts have been finished just exactly as you have. I look at it this way .... I can get more stitches per inch and as close to perfect thread tension using a machine.... so I sew my bindings on by machine. Some I bring to the front nd top stitch as you do some I bring to the back and stitch in the ditch on the front...
I am happy with my quilts and so are the recipients... and thats how I measure my quilting.

wraez 03-05-2012 08:04 PM

I always say that the only thing I do by hand is 'fork to mouth', but the truth is I do whip down the hanging sleeve on a quilt, grateful that it isn't seen, cuz my handwork looks like I used my toes.

Bindings are done by machine and I think they turn great!

No quilt police among friends.

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA

Jackie Spencer 03-05-2012 08:10 PM

I don't think that just because you don't like hand work that you are weird, and I hope that because I love hand work you won't think Im weird. We are what makes the world go round. We all have our likes and our dislikes. Oh and I do love to crochet, see we do have something in common.LOL

Chasing Hawk 03-05-2012 08:25 PM

I machine stitch my binding onto the back of the quilt. And hand sew it on the front. Besides it looks really good., my husband and I spend time together while I hand sew. I also hand sew hems, patches on.

JanTx 03-05-2012 08:26 PM

No hand sewing here. Avoid it at all costs. Dear friend loves it, but when she wants it done in a hurry she comes over and has me machine sew her bindings. Has happened only twice, but I'm ready when she needs me. :) It's the Ying and Yang of quilting. We all balance each other out.

Born2Sew 03-05-2012 08:29 PM

Add me to the list of those who do it all by machine. I do not like hand work and only do so as a last resort. For those that do, I think it's great. I never cared for sewing on buttons either, so I used pearl snaps instead. Don't care for doing button holes either... I'm not entering my quilts in shows for competition. I just want to make something that others can enjoy and that I hope will be cherished (and used) after I'm gone.

MaryLane 03-05-2012 08:38 PM

Thanks, everyone! Nice to know I am not alone.

I can do a pretty good job when I have to. I just don't like it. I sew my labels on by hand. I used to embroider a lot.

I just think I would cry in frustration if I were faced with a queen-sized quilt to hand sew the binding on with.

Now, I do love a good challenge. So, I am trying to do the Farmer's Wife Sampler on my treadle. I MAY hand sew that binding but probably not.

janquilts'ncrochets 03-05-2012 08:41 PM

I'm with you, I avoid handwork too. I sewed sheer curtains for a decorator for years and had my fill of hand sewing!

jaciqltznok 03-05-2012 08:52 PM

to each their own. I prefer hand sewn bindings...I can machine piece, machine quilt, etc, but that binding HAS to be hand sewn to the back for me! Just the way "I" prefer it!

But for the record, I also hand piece and hand quilt..gives me something to do in the car, Dr offices, etc...