Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I Thought Stitch in the Ditch meant in the Seam (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-thought-stitch-ditch-meant-seam-t263221.html)

CAS49OR 03-27-2015 10:47 AM

I Thought Stitch in the Ditch meant in the Seam

I thought the goal was to aim for the seam or if you prefer right beside it. According to an article on Craftsy the "ditch" is actually the side of the seam that does not have the bulk of the fabric.

Onebyone 03-27-2015 11:03 AM

I stitch where I want. Sometime in the seam sometime to the right or to the left. I'm not a quilt rule follower. LOL

lynnie 03-27-2015 11:09 AM

I too thought the ditch was the seam. you're not alone

PaperPrincess 03-27-2015 11:17 AM

That's how I learned to do it, on the low (ditch) side of the seam, as close to the seam as you can get, but not right on it.

ghostrider 03-27-2015 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 7143318)
I stitch where I want. Sometime in the seam sometime to the right or to the left. I'm not a quilt rule follower. LOL

That isn't a rule, it's a definition. If you do something else you're not breaking a rule, you're just not stitching in the ditch. Simple really.

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess (Post 7143337)
That's how I learned to do it, on the low (ditch) side of the seam, as close to the seam as you can get, but not right on it.

Me, too, and staying with the low side whenever it shifts to the other side of the seam. When done well, all the stitching disappears under the lip of the high side fabric.

CAS49OR 03-27-2015 11:35 AM

But of course! I think the information is meant to be helpful. It s probably easier to sew straight while avoiding the bulk. I think it's interesting where they define "ditch". I thought it was the crack.

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 7143318)

cindi 03-27-2015 11:36 AM

I think they're just saying not to sew on the pressed side. It will look more like a "french seam" if you do. It all depends on your preference to press seams open or to one side.

CAS49OR 03-27-2015 11:37 AM

That's good to know! I've been trying FMQ and not doing so well so I may start doing a lot more SITD.

Quote: and staying with the low side whenever it shifts to the other side of the seam. When done well, all the stitching disappears under the lip of the high side fabric.

joe'smom 03-27-2015 12:01 PM

I think many people have the mistaken impression that 'ditch' refers to the seam line. The ditch is created by pressing to the side, making one side of the seam higher than the other. It seems to me there would be a good chance of breaking your piecing stitches if you sewed right through your piecing seams.

CAS49OR 03-27-2015 12:25 PM

Hopefully this thread will help a lot of people! Interesting that I was taught to sew in the seam at my "Learn to Quilt" class.

Originally Posted by joe'smom (Post 7143372)
I think many people have the mistaken impression that 'ditch' refers to the seam line. The ditch is created by pressing to the side, making one side of the seam higher than the other. It seems to me there would be a good chance of breaking your piecing stitches if you sewed right through your piecing seams.