Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I was told.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-told-t200960.html)

RugosaB 09-19-2012 04:40 PM

I was told....

by my husband, as he was watching the girl at Walmart cut my fabric, "Uh oh."

See, half way between my 8 bolts of fabric that I had ready for her to cut, her shift changed, or something. A new girl took over where she left off. To him, standing in the background as he always does, watching, but allowing me the freedom to have a conversation, it did look like what he said happened - "I think you might have worn out the first one. I guess that's what they get for hiring amateurs!"

Every once in awhile, that $2 fabric is of really good quality. If there's someone there, and I don't have to ring the bell to get someone, I'll get some.

Amateurs! LOL I remember one time there was NO ONE to cut, so the guy in the electronics section next door came. He was actually pretty good at cutting my fabric, he followed my instructions EXACTLY!

I even put the bolts where I got them from when she was finished with them - I like the Walmart by me.

Oh yeah, just remembered the story continues - Like we always do, my husband takes the cart and gets in line, while I go and get another cart, so what overfills one cart, goes in 2 (he really tends to smoosh bread and bananas if we don't)
I put stuff in one cart, and then start with the other. Of course my bags of fabric went in the second, as did the eggs. He asked me if I would trust him with the fabric, but I told him "Notice the eggs? I trust that you know enough to throw them at whoever tries to take my fabric, don't ya? Keep in mind I have your lunchmeat in mine!"

The cashier just laughed, and seemed to nod knowingly

Pat625 09-19-2012 04:46 PM

So glad you found good deals..I have found the same since they enlarged our fabric department- more selection and quality. There is a woman named Earline that has been in the fabric department forever..she is SO friendly and knowledgable..I hate when she is not there. I know some will never buy in a "big box" store, but as big as it is, I feel at home in my Wally World fabric Dept!!

erstan947 09-19-2012 04:46 PM

Funny story......sounds like my DH!

RUSewing 09-19-2012 04:53 PM

Good story. Sounds like you two have fun :)

MaryMo 09-19-2012 04:59 PM

Some WalMarts are much better than others ... depends upon district managers and store managers.

Gladys 09-19-2012 05:08 PM

That's a great story. I have found when I go late at night the fellow from hardware/fishing/auto/ and electronics comes and I always benefit (rolls eyes) from his cutting, seriously as much as 1/4 or 1/3 of a yard. ( I hope Wal-Mart doesn't read here!)I have to say no one at Wal-Mart has ever shorted me of course several of the regular ladies that work in that department and I are on a first name basis...:thumbup:

Sdwill 09-19-2012 05:18 PM

I wish our Walmart would get their fabric department back. It's not due to come back until 2014.
We have to drive 40 miles to the nearest Hancocks or Hobby Lobby. We do have a new Fabric Store moving into an old western store here in town. I'll be in trouble on that one since I will have to drive by it everytime I go to town.

MattieMae 09-19-2012 05:25 PM

The guy from the paint department cut my broadcloth the other day. He had a nice pipe tobacco smell about him.

Jingle 09-19-2012 06:39 PM

One Lady at our Walmart that cuts fabrics, said she didn't know why they don't have someone to cut it. If they don't know how they cut a little extra just in case. At inventory time they come up short.

The women cutting it cuts exactly, no extra. I'm thinking I need to know when no woman is their and get a guy to cut it. HMMMMMMM.

bearisgray 09-19-2012 07:15 PM

One of the reasons - that I was told, anyway - why WalMart took out the fabric department because of all the 'shrinkage' - - -

As far as I know, it's 'corporate' that decides which stores get fabric.