Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I was volunteered! Help! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-volunteered-help-t205452.html)

Pam H 11-10-2012 08:03 PM

Reading through this I was thinking I could donate the brown/blue quilt I was going to give to my dh for Christmas but it sounds like you have it all worked out now. PM me if you decide you want it. It still needs to be quilted and bound.

Country1 11-10-2012 09:25 PM

Just saw your post tonight. If I can help, I know time maybe to late now, but if I can I would.
I have a mid-arm quilting machine, I'm not the best at it, but I'm not the worst either. ( or at least I Like to think so).
Good luck and PM if I can help!

Bluelady 11-11-2012 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie (Post 5648098)
I've been thinking about this thread since I first read it. Why would anyone make a blanket 65" long for an adult male? I'm 5'4" and it would be too short for me. I want a bit under my feet and enough to pull up around my shoulders.

Who comes up with these measurements"? Even 6' would be short for most men.

It is the military that came up with the measurements. The quilt is to be a cot cover, it cannot hang down over the edges. Their blankets have to be tucked in all around their cot and the quilt could go on top. Again, these quilts are designed to help provide warmth but more importantly they are for the boys moral, to provide color and cheer, to show them our appreciation, to let them know they are not forgotten.
So in order to comply with military requirements on the beds being made in a proper fashion, nothing can hang down over the edges. Therefore the sizes of the quilts need to fall into the guidelines given.
Thank you again for everyone's help in getting these quilts out. :):) God bless.

Bluelady 11-11-2012 01:35 AM

Plus, I think if anything hangs over edge of the beds, it makes it easier for weird spiders and other nasty bugs to hide out...

GrannieAnnie 11-11-2012 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by Bluelady (Post 5648938)
It is the military that came up with the measurements. The quilt is to be a cot cover, it cannot hang down over the edges. Their blankets have to be tucked in all around their cot and the quilt could go on top. Again, these quilts are designed to help provide warmth but more importantly they are for the boys moral, to provide color and cheer, to show them our appreciation, to let them know they are not forgotten.
So in order to comply with military requirements on the beds being made in a proper fashion, nothing can hang down over the edges. Therefore the sizes of the quilts need to fall into the guidelines given.
Thank you again for everyone's help in getting these quilts out. :):) God bless.

I can understand nothing hanging over the edges, but 65" won't even touch the toes.

GrannieAnnie 11-11-2012 01:52 AM

Please tell me we are not expecting our soldiers to sleep on cots less than 6' long.

eyes 11-11-2012 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie (Post 5648948)
Please tell me we are not expecting our soldiers to sleep on cots less than 6' long.

The military's regulations must be followed or the quilts cannot be used, which would be a waste of everyone's time and talents.

No one mentioned the soldier's sleeping on too small cots.

justflyingin 11-11-2012 05:39 AM

Please tell me we are not expecting our soldiers to sleep on cots less than 6' long

Originally Posted by eyes (Post 5649134)

This made me LOL!

quilter2090 11-11-2012 06:35 AM

Can this deadline be pushed back a few weeks? To give everyone involved the time to complete the projects without stressing out about it.One thing I have learned being a disabled person, is that sometimes a person simply can't get everything done as we would wish. As you say, in your post, your former DIL just decided to do this, why the short deadline. My advice, do what you can, but, don't wear yourself out in the process. Good luck!

GrannieAnnie 11-11-2012 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by eyes (Post 5649134)
The military's regulations must be followed or the quilts cannot be used, which would be a waste of everyone's time and talents.

So all the other families who have sent real quilts to their soldiers have had to give them up? Why make a quilt that only covers a portion of a cot? I read between the lines. If 6' hangs over, then the cot is smaller than 6'