Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I want to learn how to make different borders (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-want-learn-how-make-different-borders-t159004.html)

jlong 10-08-2011 03:08 PM

Can you show me your different borders? How do you determine how they will fit since they may have a pattern?

ckcowl 10-08-2011 03:15 PM

there is a really really good book out there called:

BORDERS, BINDINGS & EDGES The Art of Finishing Your Quilt
by Sally Collins

this book will teach you sooooo much about borders= finishing techniques- how to make them fit- how to choose the right finishing for your quilts- it is an invaluable resource which i seem to always have within reach!
i highly recommend this book for anyone who makes quilts beyond just copying someones pattern

QuiltE 10-08-2011 04:24 PM

I've been watching borders more lately ... and looking for new ideas beyond the standard flat and straight in differnet widths! Hope others show some.

DogHouseMom 10-08-2011 04:41 PM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by ckcowl
there is a really really good book out there called:

BORDERS, BINDINGS & EDGES The Art of Finishing Your Quilt
by Sally Collins

this book will teach you sooooo much about borders= finishing techniques- how to make them fit- how to choose the right finishing for your quilts- it is an invaluable resource which i seem to always have within reach!
i highly recommend this book for anyone who makes quilts beyond just copying someones pattern

Yup! Got that book, it's new so I haven't used it yet.

I also have (and have used twice) "The Border Workbook" by Janet Kime.

Yes pieced borders require math :) Both books teach you the math to use to make the borders fit properly at the corners both by utilizing strip borders and adjusting the size of the pieces in the pieced border.

Below are two borders that I made from the Border Workbook book. As I said - haven't tried any YET from the Sally Collins book - but I will! I LOVE a pieced border!! Tricky suckers though :)

Photo taken prior to finishing. I had actually fixed the corner piece a tad before I quilted it.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]268064[/ATTACH]

You can just see the edge - a simple diamond border. Sorry, no pic of the corners - but they match.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]268065[/ATTACH]

CharlottsQuilts 10-08-2011 04:45 PM

I am currently hand quilting a double irish chain, almost done with the center, but I don't know how to quilt the border. The project has been going on so long, I am actually getting bored with it! What can I do that is not too difficult? I was thinking of just crosshatching, what do you all think?

nativetexan 10-08-2011 04:57 PM

well you can find borders on quilterscache.com too.

QuiltE 10-08-2011 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by nativetexan
well you can find borders on quilterscache.com too.

Yes ... some nice ones!

rainbow quilter 10-08-2011 05:00 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by jlong
Can you show me your different borders? How do you determine how they will fit since they may have a pattern?

I love pieced borders! I think that they add so much to quilts. Here is one of mine. Although it's pieced, there wasn't as much math involved as with some. I did a tutorial for the corner block and posted it in the tutorial folder.

rainbow quilter 10-08-2011 05:04 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Found another one. this is a quilt made with scraps and extra half-square triangles from two other quilts. It's hanging on my living room wall but will soon be replaced with another.

Forgot to add that this one took some figuring out. I took the length of the center of the quilt and divided by the number of diamonds that I wanted to do. This gave me the length of each diamond. Added the seam allowance and that was it. Using graph paper and drawing it out can be very helpful.

Julie in NM 10-08-2011 05:07 PM

4 Attachment(s)
http://www.amazon.com/Border-Workboo.../dp/1564771849 I have this book. Book is ususally at JoAnns Doghouse mentioned this book to you.

Border here is from half square triangles left from cutting the corners off the snowball blocks.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]268081[/ATTACH]

Busy quilt. Just added left over strips from the blocks.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]268084[/ATTACH]