Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I want to make a quilt out of embroidered tablecloths and samplers. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-want-make-quilt-out-embroidered-tablecloths-samplers-t307946.html)

Jazz 11-10-2019 09:16 PM

I want to make a quilt out of embroidered tablecloths and samplers.

I have made many embroidered tablecloths and other projects from kits. Now I'd like to cut them up to make a sort of shabby chic-style quilt top. Has anyone ever done this? I don't have a pattern, or even a clear idea so I haven't started cutting yet but I'm anxious to try.

Please share any advice or tips.

Thank you!

Moira in N.E. England 11-11-2019 01:22 AM

I tried to make cushion covers from tablecloths and runners that my cousin gave me when she did a de-clutter.

If you google or look on Pinterest for ‘Embroidered vintage fabric quilt patterns’ or similar you will find lots of ideas.

Good luck with your project and I look forward to seeing what you do!

Tartan 11-11-2019 03:36 AM

​Google Cindy Needham for some ideas for using linen and tablecloths for quilts.

Kassaundra 11-11-2019 05:53 AM

I have never done it but there is a method of quilting called improvisational it is w/o pattern or plan. (I make all mine w/o a bought pattern but always have a plan)

toverly 11-11-2019 06:53 AM

I second what Tartan said, Cindy Needham is an awesome person for using older linen tablecloths and handkerchiefs. She has a method for essentially applying delicate laces to fabric, it comes out beautiful.

sewvicki 11-12-2019 05:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I made something similar several years ago. It was a long valance for a bedroom window. I used a muslin base and stitched the vintage embroidered pieces in a "crazy quilt" fashion. If their happened to be a stain or small hole in the embroidered piece, I covered it with a button, lace or anything else that worked. I hope I can upload a photo of it. Feel free to message me if you have other questions. [ATTACH=CONFIG]619606[/ATTACH]

illinois 11-12-2019 05:22 AM

It depends on the dimensions of your tablecloths but I'd try using them as whole cloth instead of cutting into them. Simply border them out to the size you'd like and enjoy the multitude of quilting designs among the embroidery. And, of course, I suggest hand quilting as the embroidery is hand-done. It's being consistent!

Sallyflymi 11-12-2019 07:24 AM

I would use a stabilizer, iron on, to keep the vintage fabric to keep it from deteriorating more.
I think I would quilt as you go so no more handling than necessary.

Jazz 11-13-2019 03:47 PM

What great ideas! Thank you so much Like I said, I didn't even know where to begin or even if it was a viable idea. I appreciate all your help.

Jaiade 11-13-2019 04:46 PM

Someone on this board did some beautiful work with vintage pieces. I don't remember her name but I think she is from Canada. Maybe someone here can chime in with her name.