Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I Will Not Waste My Batiks! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-will-not-waste-my-batiks-t288606.html)

Boston1954 05-30-2017 09:27 AM

I Will Not Waste My Batiks!

Many times in the past, I have taken what I thought were insignificant little pieces of fabric and tossed them. After all, what will I make from something that is 1 1/2 x 2 inches or even less, right?

Well, I just finished watching two videos about how batik fabric is produced. It is a fascinating, tedious, and time consuming procedure, which made me stop and think about a couple of things. The people who lean over floors to scrunch and fold the fabric, and then add dyes etc. to get the gorgeous patterns and colors we all love. Also the fact that because it takes so long to get through all of those steps, we are very lucky these beautiful yards of color do not cost a lot more than they do.

I will no longer take my batiks for granted.

Jcarpentier 05-30-2017 09:35 AM

I keep all my scraps from all my fabrics. I don't have much of a fabric budget so I need to save what I can.

DogHouseMom 05-30-2017 09:37 AM

I've never taken batiks for granted - having made them myself (small art pieces - wax resist was hand painted).

I also don't toss my scraps. I love making layered raw edge applique pieces (like my avatar) and small pieces of *just the right color* is often the exact thing I need. I keep my scraps in bins sorted by light-medium-dark.

Onebyone 05-30-2017 09:55 AM

I guess I'm the only quilter that doesn't care for batiks that much. The fabric is treated so much it deteriorates faster then regular cotton. I have some batik quilts made in the 90's that are getting holes and fraying spots.

MadQuilter 05-30-2017 10:01 AM

My scraps 1 1/2" or bigger go to a friend who works with leaders and enders.

crafty pat 05-30-2017 10:31 AM

I keep all mine for applique. I find I use so many for that and making bags.

popover 05-30-2017 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 7834115)
I guess I'm the only quilter that doesn't care for batiks that much. The fabric is treated so much it deteriorates faster then regular cotton. I have some batik quilts made in the 90's that are getting holes and fraying spots.

I'm with you. Never cared much for them.

QuiltnNan 05-30-2017 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 7834115)
... some batik quilts made in the 90's that are getting holes and fraying spots.

wow, how discouraging

SuziSew 05-30-2017 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by popover (Post 7834131)
I'm with you. Never cared much for them.

I'm part of the non-batik group too...

By the way popover...I love your quote...I smile every time I see it :)

popover 05-30-2017 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by SuziSew (Post 7834162)
I'm part of the non-batik group too...

By the way popover...I love your quote...I smile every time I see it :)

I've always thought David Bowie was more brilliant than people knew......