Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I wish I had more time to sew :( (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-wish-i-had-more-time-sew-t150275.html)

bri1977 09-04-2011 05:09 AM

I had been sewing a lot over the summer (but what's a lot with 3 kids ages 11yrs, 2yrs and 11 months). Anyway, I made the decision to go back to school and have hardly touched my sewing machine in the last 2 weeks. I did get a couple fleece blankets sewn for a friends twins, but that was just a matter of finishing them up last week. I have 2 unfinished T shirt quilt tops (one sandwiched and quilting started), a toddler bed quilt top for my daughter, a project Linus quilt top, a Rag quilt to cut. I also wanted to make lap quilts for family for Christmas, since this will be the first year that I know how to quilt. I know going back to school is for the better in the long run, but I don't want to give up on sewing/quilting as it is one of my only hobbies. I guess I will just have to squeeze it in little by little. Thanks for listening :)

Dianemarie 09-04-2011 05:14 AM

If you can leave your sewing out it really helps to just go and sew a little. I also liked doing small projects so I had a feeling of completion. Actually something I completed for myself well even if it was given away. I also have been getting up early and doing some hand applique if early fits into your schedule.

Have a good school year !

Cybrarian 09-04-2011 05:26 AM

Schedule it and also reward yourself with blocks of time even if it's only 20/30 minutes. BUT "says the voice of experience" balance with husband time/kids time (don't leave out one on one time) / and SLEEP.
I would suggest you dial back your Christmas projects. The lap quilts can work one of 2 ways: make a list of the eventual recipients and decide the order they'll receive them and #1 gets theirs this year and the others get small projects OR (and this is what I would recommend) everyone gets small projects until school is finished, job is found and you and family have adjusted to new schedule. JMHO

sueisallaboutquilts 09-04-2011 05:27 AM

I hope you can carve out a little time for sewing in your busy schedule. It's so good for the soul :)

IrishNY 09-04-2011 05:28 AM

Be gentle with yourself. The quilting will be there when you have time to get back to it but you have a lot on your plate right now with family and school, and they have to take precedence over quilting for now.

But good for you for taking the step of furthering your education - you will never be sorry!

Buckeye Rose 09-04-2011 05:28 AM

I know from experience that going back to school will be a stressful situation. Unless you are a genius and don't need to study :lol: you will be spending a lot of time with your studies and will need a break every now and then or your mind will turn to mush. That is where your quilting can step in and give you a bit of therapy! Keep something handy that you can work on for a little bit here and there. It will help refresh your mind and body.

running1 09-04-2011 05:31 AM

It is wise to try to squeeze in a little time for sewing... but it is also wise to budget your time... the time in school will go by quickly and before you know it, you'll be back to lots of sewing. Hang in there!! (I know because I did the same thing... only not with kids... )

blueangel 09-04-2011 08:25 AM

Just schedule a little time even if it's only 30 minutes.