Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I wish they'd make a home sewing machine-- (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-wish-theyd-make-home-sewing-machine-t38563.html)

fabric-holic 03-04-2010 05:30 AM

I'm in a frustrated mood today and started making a wish list.
Here's all I have so far (for sewing anyway, the list for my husband is a little longer...lol)

I wish they'd make a home sewing machine:

1. with a bobbin area that could hold a regular spool of thread

2. that never needed maintenance (I know that's impossible but I still wish for it)

What would you like in a sewing machine?

vjengels 03-04-2010 05:33 AM

Those are my wishes also.. in fact, why is the bobbin so small on a long arm? I went to the sewing fstival here in Denver recently, saw someone demonstration a long arm for a couple, she just happened to be showing the bobbin... I asked why the bobbin wasn't the same size as the thread, makes sense to me.... she just looked at me, and said' it's the bobbin'. Seems that you should be able to use another cone of thread as a bobbin so you have the same amount on both sides...

QBeth 03-04-2010 05:34 AM

Feed dogs about 6" long! Maybe then my seams would stay straight, especially at the end! :-)

fabric-holic 03-04-2010 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by QBeth
Feed dogs about 6" long! Maybe then my seams would stay straight, especially at the end! :-)

Oh that's a good one too

fabric-holic 03-04-2010 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by QBeth

Great idea!

QuiltingGrannie 03-04-2010 06:31 AM

Regular sewing machine with a lot larger opening so we can quilt bigger quilts without so much rolling, folding and praying it comes out ok. I can't afford a long arm - yet.

craftiladi 03-04-2010 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by fabric-holic
I'm in a frustrated mood today and started making a wish list.
Here's all I have so far (for sewing anyway, the list for my husband is a little longer...lol)

I wish they'd make a home sewing machine:

1. with a bobbin area that could hold a regular spool of thread

2. that never needed maintenance (I know that's impossible but I still wish for it)

What would you like in a sewing machine?

1] Better light-why do they assume we all have good eyes
2] wider sewing area w/o having to add a extention table

fabric-holic 03-04-2010 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingGrannie
.... I can't afford a long arm - yet.

Wouldn't having a longarm be wonderful? I'm wanting one someday too.

fabric-holic 03-04-2010 06:37 AM

Craftilady said--Better light-why do they assume we all have good eyes

YES!! I hear that Babylock has better lighting now although I haven't seen it for myself. I have a Pfaff.

fireworkslover 03-04-2010 07:36 AM

My wishes for a standard sewing machine: Needle up or down feature, a bigger bobbin for sure as well as a loud beeper when the bobbin has a yard of thread left on it, a larger throat- about a foot would be nice, speed control for fmq, bobbin winding without unthreading the machine. I'm sure I could come up with more, but that's it for now.