Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I'd love more info on fabric art and decorative stitching (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/id-love-more-info-fabric-art-decorative-stitching-t277942.html)

quilterdunn 04-23-2016 03:46 PM

I have this class. She does a lot with the decorative stitches on your machine. Haven't watched all of it so can't comment on how far it goes. I will say that the thread art classes taught by Terry White are awesome. She provides you with drawings and shows you how to use thread to paint them. Those classes are in the sewing section. I would gladly sign up for a third class if she taught it.

lynnie 04-23-2016 05:23 PM

I've seen her class, never took it, it's interesting. I person ally like crazy quilts. I've done controlled, in one or two colorways, and alot of 'under the sea' types of crazy quilting using various fibers and threads and laces and such. good luck, it's addicting.

Jojesek 06-12-2016 08:32 AM

I have just started making "fabric art", more wall hanging than bed cover. For anyone else doing this sort of thing, do you require the same close up inspection perfect as you do for regular quilts? I haven't taken any classes, do most of the sewing by hand and just do what strikes me. I often undo and redo many sections before I'm satisfied but sometimes have fabric edges showing, basting stitches and even loose threads that don't come out after all the beads, ribbons and buttons are stitched on.

Bree123 06-12-2016 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Jojesek (Post 7575143)
I have just started making "fabric art", more wall hanging than bed cover. For anyone else doing this sort of thing, do you require the same close up inspection perfect as you do for regular quilts? I haven't taken any classes, do most of the sewing by hand and just do what strikes me. I often undo and redo many sections before I'm satisfied but sometimes have fabric edges showing, basting stitches and even loose threads that don't come out after all the beads, ribbons and buttons are stitched on.

Well, I don't aim for perfection with my regular bed quilts unless I'm putting them in a show. I make sure that client quilts are in very good condition & only have minor issues that no one would notice unless they are quilt inspectors. For family quilts, I don't even worry about issues unless they affect the functionality of the quilt.

I think with art quilts, if you have things too "perfect" it stops looking like art. It's what all the art quilt teachers I've ever had have taught & I like that idea. The point of art is to have an impact on people. To get them to feel something (love, tranquility, rage, fear, joy, freedom...). If the viewer is nitpicking stray stitches and loose threads, I personally feel like I've failed as an artist on that piece. The best pieces of art, imho, are the ones where viewers don't think about its construction at all; they just react & interact with the art.

But, of course, anything going in a juried show would get extra attention to all those finishing details because construction & finishing are typically the two main considerations in picking winners.

Jojesek 06-13-2016 09:18 AM

Thank you Bree123. I'm trying to overcome my addiction to perfection. I have never made a "regular" quilt, because I could never make the points meet up perfectly. Your reply made sense to me as soon as I read it, but I never saw it that way before.