Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   An Idea I've Got Floating in My Head (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/idea-ive-got-floating-my-head-t318542.html)

Railroadersbrat 06-24-2022 08:22 AM

An Idea I've Got Floating in My Head

1 Attachment(s)
Hello ladies - hoping everyone is staying cool in this heat! I've got something going in my head but I'm not sure how to do it, so I'm hoping for some advice or tips.

There is a chance I am going to Kansas City to visit my family next month for a couple weeks, maybe three. I got to thinking about what I could take up there to work on and I'd like to take my sister's Double Wedding Ring up to thread baste, picture is attached for refreshers/reference. I usually stay with my best friend for a weekend or a few nights, she has a dining room table that would be big enough to hold the quilt, which is 75 1/2 x 75 1/2. Her place is really the only place I can go to so I don't have to worry about pets and I know she would be more than willing to let me set things up.

The more I got to thinking about it, the more I realized that my friend and my two sisters would want to help, which would be fantastic, I can show them what it's really like to put together a quilt sandwich and get it basted together before I start hand quilting it, not to mention it would take a ton of work off of me. I'm leaning towards the herringbone - north, south, east, west and then the four other compass points, but would that be enough or should I fill in, as well?

My thinking is that if we can work together, we could have the quilt basted very fast and depending on when I get it done (early in the trip, or later), I can take my lap frame with me as well and actually start stitching, then bring it home to put it on my floor frame to finish here.

Has anybody ever done something like this and if you did, how did it work out for you?

pennyhal2 06-24-2022 09:39 AM

I'm sort of fussy with my quilts so I'd be upset if some one wasn't doing things "right." If you have confidence in your helpers, I'm sure it would be fun! I'd love to see photos of your quiltilng group working on your quilt.

pojo 06-24-2022 09:41 AM

very pretty quilt

bearisgray 06-24-2022 10:11 AM

Be sure to put something on her table top to protect it from scratches.

I think if you get the layers/sandwich laid out properly, it should work out okay. That seems to be the critical/hardest step for me.

I think it might be fun - if the other participants are willing to be as persnickety about this as I would be.

quiltsfor 06-24-2022 10:43 AM

I'm fussy as well about my quilts, but one thing that came to mind when reading your post is:
Is this something that they would really want to do or have the time to do. Maybe they would rather just have a relaxing visit instead of being put to work.

I would also worry about damage to your friends table.

Railroadersbrat 06-24-2022 03:53 PM

I have been thinking about her table top, so I was going to ask her husband to help get some plywood that'll end with 85 x 85 measurements, then sand down the edges and corners so there's no snagging of the quilt. I'd use a moving blanket that I have here to put on her table first, then the plywood, then we could work safely and comfortably.

I was also thinking that since they would want to help, I would make them some small quilted items as thank you gifts, pouches or maybe a small organizer that they can use and I would cover any cost for food.

I know these ladies well enough to know that once I showed them how to do it, it'll be a piece of cake for them and they get to experience a small portion of a quilter's life by going through the sandwich motions. Their usual attention to detail with anything they do would help.

bearisgray 06-24-2022 03:57 PM

Sometimes it is almost easier to have meaningful conversations when one is doing something together - - -

I think plywood usually comes in 48 x 96 inch sheets - although other sizes seem to be available.

Rhonda K 06-24-2022 06:15 PM

There is a folding cardboard grid. I have used one on the dining table to protect it. It can be found in the cutting mat section usually.

SueZQ from MN 06-25-2022 12:20 AM

Maybe you'll feel that the heat has gotten to me here in MN, but my suggestion would be to leave that large a quilt at home. If you feel that you must take some project along, take small items that would fit in a tote bag that you could work on in your lap. Since you will only be visiting your friend for a few days of the 2-3 weeks you will be there, the idea of taking over her dining room to sandwich a quilt seems, in my opinion, to be overstepping your bounds as a guest, especially since it sounds like your friend isn't a quilter. She is expecting to visit with an old friend, not host a quilt retreat. Have you considered that she may have already made her own plans to entertain you? Secondly, after you go back home, what are they supposed to do with the two 4x8' sheets of plywood that would have cost at least $50? haha By your own admission, you say that you are going to visit family, so I say relax and just enjoy being with them and finish your big quilt project when you get back home. Sorry if I have overstepped my bounds.

bearisgray 06-25-2022 01:06 AM

If one could get one - an empty refrigerator box would probably open up quite nicely to cover a table.

It is a quilt for a sister - so it would be "family-related."

The original poster is just asking for opinions and ideas -