Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   The Ideal Quilt Rack - what would it be? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ideal-quilt-rack-what-would-t14426.html)

Brazen 12-14-2008 07:37 PM

Hi all!

My father is an accomplished woodworker and is willing to make anything I ask for - you should see the bedrooms full of furniture he's made our family!! And my custom made sewing center!! It's name is "Nirvana"... and for VERY good reason. hehehe

Anyway, I've now decided want a couple of quilt racks made. I Googled "quilt racks" and see there are a few different styles. Some people use a ladder of some sort, one example being:

[IMG]http://www.marshallproducts.com/676_pictures_428.jpg[/IMG]

And I see a LOT like this:

[IMG]http://www.pwcfurniture.com/cattalog...ilt%20rack.jpg[/IMG]

Is one better than the other, or is it totally what you think looks better?

Is any specific wood better than the others?

All I have to do is provide my Dad with a picture of what I want, and he will replicate it. That's how we (well, HE) did my sewing center. I had an online sewing buddy show me a picture of a sewing center that cost $4,000 and it was really nice. I jokingly mentioned it to my father, and what do ya know! We customized one for ME... saving me $4,000! LOL As if! hehe

Anyway, thank you for any thoughts you may have!!

Marcia 12-14-2008 07:51 PM

Either a ladder or more traditional quilt rack would work great. It all depends on how many quilts you want to display/hang, the amount of space you have for a rack, what goes with your decor, etc. I have a quilt rack in my bedroom and the very first quilt I ever made is hanging on it. I have several friends with different kinds of ladders. I have always liked the way they look and have an order for one in with my husband--if he EVER gets his wood shop finished!!!

PS--I want to see pics of your custom sewing center, too!!!

Brazen 12-14-2008 07:57 PM

Ok Marcia! hehehe I'll find some pics from when I FIRST got it and it's empty. And I'll take a couple tomorrow when it's nice and bright in the house.

I was wondering, too, shouldn't the rungs on ANY sort of quilt rack be pretty thick? So as not to harm the quilt in anyway? I see a lot of iron quilt racks and it seems like those would crease the old quilts too badly.

I have seen the racks like the second picture I posted that you could put 2 quilts on each rung, show-casing a total of 6 quilts.... That seems like a decent idea.

Moonpi 12-14-2008 08:03 PM

I guess your decor and space you have would have the biggest influence in picking out the type to use.

I would think that any kiln dried wood would work. A good poly finish will make ti easier to dust off when need be.

nor'easter 12-14-2008 08:17 PM

And remember to put some muslin or some acid free paper between the wood and the quilts you display to protect them from the acid of the wood (one reason iron is used).

Marcia 12-14-2008 08:18 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Lisa--here are a couple more styles that I found on line. Since all you need is a pic for your dad I thought these might get you thinking outside the box. :D

Pete has made me a floor rack and several wall racks--the "rungs" are about 3/4" wide on them. I do not have trouble with my quilts getting creases. You should refold them every now and then too.

ScubaK 12-14-2008 09:09 PM

Oh!!!
I like them all!
Right now, for me, would be a ladder type in a dark wood that kinda leans against the wall...
:)
Maybe I will have to google, because my husband doesn't have a wood shop but is very good with wood...
Thanks,
K

jljack 12-14-2008 09:51 PM

My DH and I found a piece of really old wrought iron fencing about 3 ft side and 6 ft long, with some neat curliques on it. He cleaned it up, repainted it, and we leaned it against a wall & hung quilts on it. It works great. You can cover any thin rods with wrapping paper rolls - just cut a slit along one full side, and slip it over the rod. Even if it bends in some it will keep the quilt from coming into contact with the rod. It works great!

Jim's Gem 12-14-2008 11:01 PM

I have a rack at home that is similar to your second picture, only it holds 7 quilts. The center top is permanent and there are 3 1 inch thick (at least) dowels that are removable on each side to hold a quilt. It is easy to remove or add a quilt because of the removable dowels, they just fall off a little too easy. I have been thinking of adding a small piece of velcro to each dowel to hold them on better. I will try and take a picture, but I may not get home until late monday night. And I am really busy Tuesday.. Let me know if you want me to send a picture. also, it is not super tall because I have a window nearby and did n't want sunlight to shine on the quilts

Mamagus 12-15-2008 05:03 AM

I have two like #2 in your pictures. They are nice... BUT I LOVE #1 in Marcia's post... that is useful and beautiful!!!