Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Ideas for "man colors" (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ideas-%22man-colors%22-t23033.html)

Adriane 07-21-2009 06:22 AM

I've found that most of my male friends, including my husband, are drawn to the darker (blues, browns, greens) batiks (ones with no specific design, like butterflies or anything). My husband is a color theorist (don't ask) so he pulled together some great batiks for me to use on his snuggle quilt.

janedennis 07-21-2009 06:25 AM

I took my DH to joanns one day and I was surprised at what he picked out. It was an asia print and it actually had flowers but also had big birds on it. The check out girl questioned whether I picked it or he and he answered her he did, just a thought on men and how different they all are. My husband wouldnt be caught dead wearing pink on anything. Just goes to show you they are a unique species. LOL

kluedesigns 07-21-2009 06:31 AM

i picked up a pink dress shirt for my DH and he never wore it.

billswife99 07-21-2009 06:35 AM

How about blue batiks and black? Will they not tell you what colors they like?

mytwopals 07-21-2009 06:46 AM

Being a man, I may have some insite into this.

As for colors, either earth tones, blues and blacks/grays. You can always throw in some darker reds and yellows in there for contrast. Even a very dark purple is acceptable. Stay away from pinks, oranges, salmons and pastels, except maybe pastel blue. They are definitely not manly colors. Even though I do occasionally wear a pink dress shirt, I wouldn't want it on my bed.

As for patterns, log cabin is manly and can be arranged in many nice patterns. Anything with stars in the pattern is manly.

Maybe a nice deep blue tone Mariners Compass on a black background. You could even throw in some bright yellow or deep red for contrast, too.

Boston1954 07-21-2009 07:26 AM

There are a LOT of BEAUTIFUL tans and browns. Autumn leaves etc.

BabkaGal 07-21-2009 07:47 AM

I recently made a "manly" quilt, using the Bistro line from Moda. You can see it at:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/15110.page

It had coffee-themed designs in the fabric, so it was still a bit whimsical. The blues, greens and the light tans were really nice together, so maybe use something similar? I would stay away from the really dark prints in the line, if this is for a bedroom. Happy quilting!

Lisanne 07-21-2009 07:50 AM

What color is their bedroom?

I don't think you're locked into neutrals or darks, though of course you want to stay away from Easter pastels.

Not that there's anything wrong with neutrals. Taupe with charcoal grays, tans and creams could be just fine.

Browns with small bits of jewel-bright color would look nice.

I've always loved navy blue, burgundy red and forest green together, perhaps with some gold for accent. (Surely they don't mean no green at all?)

Orange (you know this, right?) is a trendy color for this year. An orange-red with other oranges and reds would make for a bright, warm-toned quilt.

Gold and silver on black is very sophisticated.

For a beachy feel, maybe a sand color with light and medium blues and small amounts of peach.

'60s psychedelic colors are bright and you can even work in some hot pink and spring green with the turquoise, red, purple, orance and yellow.

bearisgray 07-21-2009 07:55 AM

Just ask her for some of those paint color things of colors that she thinks would be acceptable -

If she doesn't want to do that part of it, - - -

My sister once asked for some "blue" pillowcases - I asked her for a paint chip to narrow it down - her response was "what's so hard about blue?"

Moonpi 07-21-2009 08:09 AM

I had a similar challenge and ended up in fall colors with accents in a nice indigo. The pattern I used was bear paws. No cameras back then, but I wonder if it's floating around or gone.