Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Ideas for 11-yr old boy's quilt, need help (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ideas-11-yr-old-boys-quilt-need-help-t237438.html)

mpepperm37 12-26-2013 07:37 AM

Ideas for 11-yr old boy's quilt, need help

Last grandchild standing is a boy, almost 11yrs old. We have made quilts for 3 granddaughters, seemed a no-brainer picking out fabrics and patterns (used Yellow-Brick Road). I can't seem to come up with any good boy ideas. Best description is that we are advanced beginner+ in experience. All suggestions welcomed and appreciated.

Happy holidays to all.
Melanie

Misty's Mom 12-26-2013 07:43 AM

How about the labyrinth walk or attic windows?

Crqltr 12-26-2013 07:49 AM

I found myself with the same problem...I decided on all diff sports with a big block quilt pattern. Our quilt store had one hanging so it was a perfect idea, they had the fabric bundle right there calling my name!!!

Neesie 12-26-2013 07:49 AM

Try to think fun but on the edge of macho. :thumbup: Camo is usually a safe bet, for boys that age. Cartoon fabrics - but nothing babyish - usually go over well. 'Bug Jars' would probably be safe. If he has a favorite sports team, that's always a good bet. As for pattern, make it easy on yourself. Most 11 year-old boys won't care about the pattern. ;)

sewsalot 12-26-2013 08:02 AM

What interests does he have? Sports, outdoors, video games? The answer to that can guide fabric choices. In my experience, boys that age also are maturing out of the little boy stage (at least in their own minds) and so the idea of a little macho is a good one too. Good luck and let us see what you come up with.

mckwilter 12-26-2013 08:16 AM

2 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]453273[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]453274[/ATTACH]I can't remember what the name of this pattern is or where I got it, but it was my Grandson's first quilt. His room was done in a sports theme.

Jo C 12-26-2013 08:19 AM

I did a rag quilt with dirt bike themed fabrics for my 10 yr old grandson. He loved it.

Tartan 12-26-2013 08:25 AM

Last year one of my quilt magazine had a Skateboard quilt. Basically it is a rectangle of neat fabric for the skateboard with the 4 corners snowballed. Two strips of the same background from the snowballed edges is used with 4 black rectangles pieced in for the wheels.

Marsh 12-26-2013 08:35 AM

What I do is ask them their favorite color. The last quilt I made for my 13 y. old GS was done in green, yellow, red and orange - I then added a stripe that picked up all the color. I also asked what color he didn't like and that was blue. I used the Take Five pattern for a lap quilt and it's beautiful. For the back I purchased " outer space" fabric.

crafterrn1 12-26-2013 08:37 AM

I made a Twister quilt in black white grey and purple for my 11yo grandson. I did ask what colors he liked. I also showed him a twister quilt I made in blue and yellow. He liked the angles in that quilt. I have a football player I need to applique for him. So I guess I would ask the boy what he likes esp. colors. Luann