Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Ideas on color, etc? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ideas-color-etc-t302869.html)

tippydog90 02-08-2019 01:10 PM

Another question, as far as the applique - I am using a double blanket stitch and my appliques are puckering a bit. I have used a couple layers of wash away stabilizer on one and a tear away Sulky on another few. The tear away seems to work better with less puckering but it is still visible. The first block I appliqued I used no stabilizer but a single blanket stitch and had zero puckering! I love the look of the double blanket stitch though. Any ideas? I have messed around with tension, presser foot pressure, etc. and still have some puckering. Interestingly though, the unicorn quilt I did for my little girl and just finished up - I used no stabilizer on any applique and had zero puckering on any block. That quilt was appliqued on my old Bernina 1120, I am using my Bernina 750 on this quilt. Not sure what might be up.... Maybe I should use the 1120?

cathyvv 02-08-2019 01:15 PM

Since I am color challenged, I can only say that I like what you've done so far. Your daughter will love it!

Tartan 02-08-2019 01:45 PM

​Cute blocks and it looks great! As for the puckering, if you outline stitch around the appliqués and then do a stipple in the background, it should quilt out.

Gay 02-08-2019 02:43 PM

About the puckering, loosen the tension and don't sew fast. Also I use copy paper as backing, but wet it behind the stitching to soften so it doesn't pull on the thread. Nothing to add about color, DD will love her quilt.

tippydog90 02-09-2019 06:45 AM

Maybe I will try the copy paper also! I just am trying to figure out why I had zero problems with puckering and used no stabilizer with a pretty detailed unicorn quilt (on my old Bernina) and now with my new machine am struggling with the puckering. I will loosen the tension more, but have it pretty low as it is. Thank you all so much!

SusieQOH 02-09-2019 06:50 AM

I don't really have any advice. It looks fabulous to me!!!

Doggramma 02-09-2019 08:01 AM

I think it looks great and the colors seem balanced. I started one for my daughter but never finished it.

tippydog90 02-09-2019 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Doggramma (Post 8207906)
I think it looks great and the colors seem balanced. I started one for my daughter but never finished it.

I was on furlough for five weeks, so I had a lot of momentum during that time. My progress has slowed way down now!

Rose_P 02-09-2019 09:52 PM

It's beautiful! Your daughter will be delighted with it. I can't think of any suggestions for continuing other than staying with the color scheme you've established because it's very attractive. I do have one little problem, but it might have more to do with the camera or my screen, and that is that the green word in the block at the upper left in the picture is hard to read because it seems to blur with the background color somewhat. Probably that is not the case in person.

quiltsRfun 02-09-2019 10:32 PM

In the upper right corner, I find the words “beautiful” and “loved” hard to read. Could be my old eyes or you might need a bit more contrast.

This is a wonderful quilt for your daughter. I’m sure she’ll treasure it.