Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Ideas: To Help Quilter's With Arthritis,Muscle,Nerve,et. Disorders? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ideas-help-quilters-arthritis-muscle-nerve-et-disorders-t192869.html)

QuiltE 07-03-2012 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Missus Fear (Post 5337150)
Problem is my height and slouching to see because of LED light on the machine.

Looks like you have made your work area work for you ... except the lighting! Time to pay attention to that, and get something that resolves the slouch requirement!

Just the other day, I dragged out a halogen gooseneck lamp that was bought for a specific purpose and is no longer needed for such. Discovered it gives me that extra light that I need at the machine. Also, where I do hand sewing. Id' forgotten how mighty powerful the seemingly small bulb in it is. And with the gooseneck and heavy base, I can stretch it out pretty far and aim it wherever I want!

gramajo 07-03-2012 09:10 PM

I have RA & my hands do not work well at all. I've been using tweezers for a lot of quilty things where fine motor skills are needed. Think about all the ways tweezers would be useful.

kathyjg 07-04-2012 08:25 AM

Wow, am I glad I am not the only one who deals with these crazy issues as I get older! Getting up and move around every 30 minutes is an actual Dr order for me. I have rice bags in every size, made 2 of each size so I can put one in the freezer, as well as, having one I can micro. Sometimes, heat works for me and sometimes the cold does. I also, keep a rice bag in my car under the seat, just about every gas station has a micro. A good therapy ball--usually blue, you can sometimes find them in with the exercise equip. but I went to a store that sells wheelchairs and adaptive equip. for handicapped. They must be a size that fit. You should be sitting sq., knees straight out and feet flat on the floor. These are awesome for relieving back pain and strain as well has helping with your posture. I have also seen bases that the ball fit on with a small back support for making into kind of a chair. I don't have the base. Originally, I was given the ball, almost 20 yrs ago during PT after a back surgery. Also, used it when I was working to sit on at my desk. Now, that I have had toi retire because of my back, I have dug it out and keep it in my sewing room, I use it more than I thought I would.

KalamaQuilts 07-10-2012 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by jlwheart (Post 5325086)
I believe pain will take up any available space in my brain so I work to keep me distracted by having lots of different projects to focus on instead of pain.

So many good ideas here, but I just wrote the above in my quote journal, great advice.

Two of the best things I ever did for my sewing comfort was spring for a good office chair, and use the up and down function. Down for the machine so I'm not hunched, and up for the ironing board so the iron is used properly.

the other was to take my $40.00 banquet table to a kindly cabinet maker, along with my machine, and have it set in level. The difference that makes in sewing comfort and pleasure is immeasurable.

We buy so much carpola, and then squeal about spending money where it would make a difference :)