Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   ideas on how to quilt this (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ideas-how-quilt-t289028.html)

MarionsQuilts 06-18-2017 02:36 PM

SITD it is then!!!!

Thanks everyone ... and QuiltE ... what a fabulous quilt!!!!

QuiltE 06-18-2017 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by MarionsQuilts (Post 7846590)
SITD it is then!!!!

Thanks everyone ... and QuiltE ... what a fabulous quilt!!!!

I'll look forward to seeing yours finished ... though I know IRL it will be even better!
hhmmmmmm .... maybe I'll need to head your way to check it out!

Thanks MarionQuilts ... I thought you might appreciate it.
Working today on a 150th and if all goes well, the borders will be on before I stop tonight.
Too bad I won't have it quilted for the 1st ... oh well, still more days left in the 150th celebrations! :)

Just Jan 06-18-2017 04:31 PM

I'd do diagonal straight line (channel) quilting on the seams where the dark and light grays meet. Start at the bottom left corner and just work your way up to the top right corner. Easy peasy and would draw the eye to the blocks rather than distracting from them. You would not even need to mark it. Very pretty quilt.

sewbizgirl 06-18-2017 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Just Jan (Post 7846678)
I'd do diagonal straight line (channel) quilting on the seams where the dark and light grays meet. Start at the bottom left corner and just work your way up to the top right corner. Easy peasy and would draw the eye to the blocks rather than distracting from them. You would not even need to mark it. Very pretty quilt.

I was thinking the same thing... It's covered with diagonal lines already, so I would quilt it with parallel diagonal stitching lines using the lines in the quilt.

Jingle 06-18-2017 06:32 PM

Very pretty quilt. Since I love FMQ and mainly do that on most of my quilts. Sorry can't help you.

copycat 06-19-2017 03:36 AM

I really like your quilt. I think Sitd would work well for your quilt.

I would start with stitching an X. Go to the upper left corner of the first block. Begin to stitch on the diagonal, going through the corner points, stitching in the ditch, ending at the point of the last block in that row. Next go to the upper right and stitch through the corners of the blocks to make the second diagonal line of the X. Continue to quilt the lines on the diagonal using your block corners to space the diagonal lines. Lastly, I would stitch in the ditch around the perimeter of the blocks. Good luck. Let us know what you decide. :)

Bobbielinks 06-19-2017 03:57 AM

Got back from a quilt show this past week and viewed a quilt very similar to yours. An allover curvy pattern had been used to quilt it and it really took away from the wonderful pieced blocks. To me the only way to quilt this would be in the ditch, bringing out the beauty of the squares.

klswift 06-19-2017 07:17 AM

My first thought was a diagonal line from upper left to lower right in the line created by the grey blocks. I would only do the one direction so I never crossed the white blocks. I would probably use a black or a black variegated so it would blend into the center black squares. This way I would have it secure but not take away from the look of the top - which is wonderful!

carolynjo 06-20-2017 07:02 AM

I wish I liked and could do SITD, but it is so hard not to wobble when one is trying to move along the seam, and invariably I get outside of the lines. Your quilt is wonderful!

feline fanatic 06-20-2017 07:54 AM

The San Marco Square, much like the other quilt by this designer (Labyrinth walk), is high impact visual quilt no matter what. You can easily do an all over and it won't take away from the piecing. I have seen many of the Labyrinth Walk quilts done with an all over or a panto and it no way takes away from the patchwork. I don't think I would do SITD on this but an all over grid. You can easily do just a 2" cross hatch on point all over the top in a neutral very light weight thread (like invisifil or Superiors micro quilter). Easy to do, fast and all the focus will be on your piecing. Even an all over meander will work well on this.