Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Ideas for Little Gifts for Nursing Home Residents (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ideas-little-gifts-nursing-home-residents-t215618.html)

moonwork42029 03-06-2013 09:42 AM

Adult bibs but not a bib.... They sometimes need to cover their clothes when eating but don't want the embarrassment of having a bib on... so something that looks like a fake shirt or tuxedo to bring a light hearted approach maybe.

Book markers as many of them read.

Shoulder shawls -- cover their shoulders but keep their hands free.

Some people have said an "I Spy" quilt is great as many people can "play" the quilt at once.

JuneBillie 03-06-2013 10:24 AM

Thank you everyone for some great ideas. My dad is in a local nursing home right now for rehabilitation after a knee replacement. When visiting, I see so many sweet ladies and gentlemen, and I always stop to say hello. I just want to do more. I will give more time too besides whatever I make.

QuiltNama 03-06-2013 11:10 AM

While my grandmother was in the nursing home, my mother made small lap robes for other residents, walker bags and small wall hanging for the rooms (it was a small nursing home). She made all of them from wonderful bright fabrics and simple patterns. All were used and loved by the residents and nurses alike.

ludlowquiltandsew 03-06-2013 11:43 AM

Maybe tissue box covers and coasters might be useful.

carolstickelmaier 03-06-2013 12:00 PM

As a former RN working in nursing homes........all your ideas are good ones. What I and another nurse did was make reversible vests for everyone in the home. I wore them all the time for a little color and was always being asked for one. I used to make a few for the ones who never got Christmas gifts and then was reminded by the other residents that they never got one....One year my friend and I decided everyone got one...We started in June and made over 100 for Christmas gifts..Even the guys cried when they opened theirs...What a great feeling to know that you pleased someone. They were reversible because we had to line them anyway. We tried to match up the fabric with their likes or what they did for a living......We drew a simple pattern that we could make in sizes small to xxlg....Be sure to make at least one size larger than you think they wear so they don't have difficulty getting them on and off. Also after Christmas we brought in all the gifts we received that we couldn't use.. deorderant, shampoo, powders, after shave, soaps, anything we did not think we would ever get around to using. They loved it. There are far too many nursing home residents that have no one that visits or can bring needed things in.

LynnVT 03-06-2013 12:04 PM

When my father in law was in a nursing home I made him a red, white and blue lap quilt, put his name right on it but it disappeared by the next time someone visited him a day later. That used to happen to my grandmother all the time. Nobody ever knew who took stuff, but anything we brought her vanished in no time. Sad but true. Sometimes other residents wander into a room and walk off with something, though that might be returned eventually. Sometimes there is someone on staff who just can't resist. I don't know, but it's heartbreaking when you've made something nice for a loved one.

momto5 03-06-2013 02:03 PM

After just going through this experience with a close family member (she was a stand-in Mom for my DD when we were stationed away from her right after my DGS was born): she spent several weeks in a nursing home and I can testify to the fact that these older folks NEED COMPANY MORE THAN THINGS!!!! It was an experience that profoundly affected me and has prompted me to try to ease the situation where I live. So I agree with rj's DIL about the importance of visitors for these folks...and, if we can add something to the visit in the way of a small handmade gift, even better. But the most important need is your TIME and your PRESENCE! Okay, off my soapbox now...

liking quilting 03-06-2013 06:41 PM

Mug rugs for their glass or pitcher of water.

Maureen 03-06-2013 07:39 PM

the small tissue holders are easy to make and very useful as they fit in a pocket.

wanda lou 03-06-2013 10:05 PM

U shaped wrap, lap quilts, and tote bags.