Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Ideas needed .... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ideas-needed-t276873.html)

kindleaddict63 03-19-2016 06:49 PM

Ideas needed ....

Looking for suggestions. The scenario is - I am using needle turn applique to sew dog silhouettes on white background. The problem I have is that some shapes have spaces that if i cut them out there is not enough fabric to turn. As an example a really curly tail has a tiny space which should be white....the only solution i can come up with is to use my sewing machine and white thread to fill those spaces with tiny stitches? I have dog legs with the tiniest amount of space between them as well.

Any suggestions welcome - though i can only think the best way would be to sew the whiteness in

Prism99 03-19-2016 07:08 PM

I think filling in with white thread is your best bet. Would love to see it when you're done!

Peckish 03-19-2016 07:13 PM

I would cut the tail separately, with the needed seam allowance.

Jeanne S 03-19-2016 07:17 PM

Could you do a little white appliqué circle on top of the darker tail applique fabric? Layer the applique pieces in other words.

Genden 03-19-2016 07:36 PM

Was the applique pattern designed for machine applique rather than needle turn?

Bree123 03-19-2016 07:56 PM

I would do the rest of the dog as regular needle turn & then make a bias strip for the tail & sew that on separately. I remember this flower I got from Desiree's Designs that I absolutely loved, but spent I don't know how many hours trying to get that silly "lollipop" swirl in the center by needle turning 1/16". A guild member finally suggested I make a bias strip for it & applique that down and that worked perfectly!

-- Just tuck the raw end of the bias strip under the backside of the dog & stitch the tail down first, then the dog's behind. :)

DOTTYMO 03-20-2016 12:03 AM

Sounds like a bishion friise tail, curly like a pig. Although daylight comes through it is also covered in long hairs si white stitching would be fine. Dogs legs have feathers on them in some cases so white stitching again could hold down appliqué going from side too side.

ManiacQuilter2 03-20-2016 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99 (Post 7498655)
I think filling in with white thread is your best bet. Would love to see it when you're done!

I agree. I am trying to finalized an applique quilt of my Westie and I would enjoy seeing what your progress is to get me inspired to start mine.

kindleaddict63 03-20-2016 11:04 PM

Thanks for all your input....some great suggestions. Dotty,the silhouette I am currently working is a pug, but I will have the same issue with the Alaskan malamute. I actually purchased wooden laser cut shapes as I can share these with my friend who likes to etch glass. Maniac, I will try and get some pictures though it is a work in progress but if will help motivate then i am happy to enable!

kindleaddict63 03-20-2016 11:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]545511[/ATTACH]As you can see ...hopefully....tiny spaces on that tail.....the stripe blocks and paw print blocks will be used in this quilt ....