Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   ideas on what i ca do? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ideas-what-i-ca-do-t264725.html)

deedum 05-01-2015 04:47 PM

ideas on what i ca do?

i fell and now cant get to my sewing room upstairs. :eek: cast on right leg and right arm. no climbing stairs at all. so if i can convince my dh to bring a sewing machine downstairs is there anything i can sew left handed? i really dont want to be laid up a long time and not sew anything. i have had friends and neighbors bring me quilting mags which i love and appreciate. a friend bought me abot 15 yards of material for when i am better. i am fairle decent with my left hand. i wouuld like do something,as iam not real big on tv. not real molblie right now but hope to do better.

i got my quiting boards and magazzines which helps. thanks to all who responds!

Tartan 05-01-2015 05:00 PM

If you have a go cutter or lots of strips cut, you could paper piece string blocks for including in a Bonnie Hunter Free Pattern? www.quiltville.blogspot.ca String blocks don't have to be accurate since you trim them after the paper is covered. I think you are going to have to be patient and wait until you are better.

deedum 05-01-2015 05:08 PM

thanks, string blks is an excellent idea. i can do that..in time. i am looking at a couple weeks out perhaps, will see how thing go

Cybrarian 05-01-2015 05:58 PM

Deedum, just wanted to say so sorry you are laid up! Two things came to mind- Craftsy.com has several free classes if you haven't explored them yet, now would be a great time and no cost. Also several excellent quilt themed novels- you can join Audible.com for $14.95 a month which gets you 3 audio books, and you can cancel any time so you can just use it while you're laid up then cancel. I listen to books much more than TV when I'm sewing. Blessings & allow your body to heal, don't overdue-never works out well :-)

Dolphyngyrl 05-01-2015 06:13 PM

I agree with Cybrarian, craftsy really helped me when I couldn't sew because my arm was in a sling and after out still had limited mobility for about another 3 weeks its hard to sew with just one arm so I ended up watching a lot of craftsy, reading, and watching movies till my arm healed enough to use with limited pain. I too me almost 6 weeks to get enough mobility to sew.

mom-6 05-01-2015 06:39 PM

Yoyos would be easy to manage.

PenniF 05-01-2015 08:16 PM

SO sorry to hear about your accident...and that you are now laid up. I can't imagine how frustrating that must be !!

Another idea - as this is what i did for a couple of weeks after my right hand surgery in January (i am right handed) I got my scrap bags out and did the calculator tape paper piecing. I was able to made dozens of strips using the calculator tape as the foundation. I cut the calculator paper into 24" lengths and found it very "therapeutic".

Hope you find something to keep you occupied while you are on the mend.
Take care

cathyre 05-02-2015 01:25 AM

Just a suggestion , I don't know how well you know all the stitches on your machine
but you could try "fancy stitches" , I did this once when ill for ages , used a yard of plain
muslin made the stitches wider ,longer ,shorter, I learnt a lot ad use the stitches more
I wrote the numbers I altered tings to right on fabric and refer back to it lots Cathy .

justflyingin 05-02-2015 02:30 AM

Maybe take this time to read your sewing machine manual from beginning to end.

deedum 05-02-2015 03:43 AM

lot of great suggestions here. i think i will start with craftsy lessons for now. thanks everyone.